Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am completely lost in what is going on with iPhoto and iCloud. Is there a way to move my photo library to iCloud and reduce the amount of flash drive being consumed by pictures on my Macbook Air?

Trying to understand if there is a way to get some of my pictures (and other things for that matter) off of my notebook flash drive by having them "hosted" in iCloud rather than on my computer.

Posted on Feb 26, 2015 7:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 26, 2015 9:44 AM

The new Photos app for the Mac that is compatible with iCloud Photo Library has not yet been released. It is expected shortly with the next Yosemite update (OS X 10.10.3). In the case of iOS devices (iPhone, iPad, etc) there is already an option to "Optimize Storage" which automatically keeps a smaller lower resolution copy on the device in order to save space. Based on the quote below from https://www.apple.com/osx/photos-preview/ it appears the new Photos for the Mac will have a similar option.

iCloud Photo Library can help you make the most of the space on your devices. When you choose "Optimize Mac Storage", it stores all your full-resolution photos and videos in iCloud in their original formats, while keeping storage-saving versions on each device.

If you can't wait for that or that doesn't suit your needs, there are 3rd party cloud storage options that allow storage of photos and other things without keeping a local copy.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 26, 2015 9:44 AM in response to Doug List

The new Photos app for the Mac that is compatible with iCloud Photo Library has not yet been released. It is expected shortly with the next Yosemite update (OS X 10.10.3). In the case of iOS devices (iPhone, iPad, etc) there is already an option to "Optimize Storage" which automatically keeps a smaller lower resolution copy on the device in order to save space. Based on the quote below from https://www.apple.com/osx/photos-preview/ it appears the new Photos for the Mac will have a similar option.

iCloud Photo Library can help you make the most of the space on your devices. When you choose "Optimize Mac Storage", it stores all your full-resolution photos and videos in iCloud in their original formats, while keeping storage-saving versions on each device.

If you can't wait for that or that doesn't suit your needs, there are 3rd party cloud storage options that allow storage of photos and other things without keeping a local copy.

I am completely lost in what is going on with iPhoto and iCloud. Is there a way to move my photo library to iCloud and reduce the amount of flash drive being consumed by pictures on my Macbook Air?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.