Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

could not be opened, because the original item cannot be found.

I imported over 300 photos to iphoto from my HD (copy photos box was not checked). Then due space limitations on my HD, i deleted the photos from my HD (and emptied then trash). I can see my photos in iphoto but i get the above message when I attempt to do anything with the photo (include in album etc.). Is there a way to recover these photos? I can see them so they must be stored somewhere, right?

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Feb 26, 2015 7:50 AM

3 replies

Feb 26, 2015 8:00 AM in response to wposton

No and no

If you do not copy photos to the iPhoto library then you must assure that they alway stay where they were

When you import a photo into iPhoto it makes a small preview and an even smaller thumbnail - these are in your iphoto library and are what you are seeing - the original is where you put it (in this case in the trash and gone) - if you made the strongly not recommended decision not to copy the photos iphoto is not involved with the original - you choose to take care of it yoruself

You have a not recommended referenced library -

The preview is in the previews folder in your iPhoto library - this is a smaller, less quality version with incomplete metadata - you can access if by right clicking on the iPhoto library and selecting show package contents and copying (do NOT make any changes of any sort) the photos you want to the desktop

LN

Feb 26, 2015 8:31 AM in response to wposton

Using the directions I posted above

The preview is in the previews folder in your iPhoto library - this is a smaller, less quality version with incomplete metadata - you can access it by right clicking on the iPhoto library and selecting show package contents and copying (do NOT make any changes of any sort) the photos you want to the desktop

LN

could not be opened, because the original item cannot be found.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.