Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirportExtreme and 4G/LTE modem

I am trying to get things set up with my Huawei b593s-22 4G model so that my new AirportExtreme works as the primary NAT/DHCP server for the network. Unfortunately, the Huawei modem/router cannot be put in a bridge mode, which would have simplified things greatly. However, I have done some searching on the net and picked up a fair number of useful tips. I feel as if I am almost home, but things are not quite right yet.

Here is the setup

• Huawei b593s-22 4G/LTE router/modem rebranded by Tele2 (Swedish ISP) with publicc IP, internal LAN IP is 192.168.1.1
  • WIFI and DHCP are turned off on Huawei router/modem
  • AirportExtreme WAN connected to Huawei LAN and IP address in AirportExtreme set to static 192.168.1.2
  • AirportExtreme is set up in DHCP/NAT mode
  • DMZ in Huawei router/modem is turned on and all traffic directed to 192.168.1.2, i.e. the AirportExtreme
  • AirportExpress extends the AirportExtreme network at the far end of the house

Things work very well on the WIFI network. All of my Apple devices show up in Airport Utility as expected and all connect to the Internet. However, I have two main problems that are irking me:

• I get a Double NAT warning for the Airport Extreme. I choose Ignore and as I said, all the WIFI clients work fine. But why the warning? Is there really still NAT involved at the Huawei level when I am using a DMZ setup?
  • I cannot get my 1 TB Lacie D2 disk connected to the AirportExtreme by ethernet cable to show up on the network. Could this be related to the Double NAT warning?
  • I tried without success to get Back to my Mac to work with my MacMini which is connected to the AirportExtreme via WIFI. Couldn't get connected using the iCloud settings for Back to my Mac in the AirportExtreme. Kept getting an orange status there.

Any help would be appreciated. Many thanks!

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Feb 26, 2015 8:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 26, 2015 9:18 AM

I get a Double NAT warning for the Airport Extreme. I choose Ignore and as I said, all the WIFI clients work fine. But why the warning? Is there really still NAT involved at the Huawei level when I am using a DMZ setup?

Yes, DMZ mode still provides NAT. I doubt that the Huawei modem/router would have a setting to turn off NAT while in DMZ mode, but you might want to do some exploring with the Huawei settings.

cannot get my 1 TB Lacie D2 disk connected to the AirportExtreme by ethernet cable to show up on the network. Could this be related to the Double NAT warning?

Macs (and PCs) that are on the AirPort Extreme network will be able to "see" the Lacie hard drive.....if the drive is formatted in Mac OS Extended (Journaled), also known as HFS+.

I tried without success to get Back to my Mac to work with my MacMini which is connected to the AirportExtreme via WIFI. Couldn't get connected using the iCloud settings for Back to my Mac in the AirportExtreme. Kept getting an orange status there.

Back to My Mac (BTMM) will not work through a Double NAT setup. If you want to use BTMM, you will need to find a way to configure the Huawei in pure bridge mode, so that it operates the same as if it were a simple modem.....not a router. If that is not possible, then you will to replace the Huawei modem/router with a bridge mode simple modem.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 26, 2015 9:18 AM in response to ArthurGaudio

I get a Double NAT warning for the Airport Extreme. I choose Ignore and as I said, all the WIFI clients work fine. But why the warning? Is there really still NAT involved at the Huawei level when I am using a DMZ setup?

Yes, DMZ mode still provides NAT. I doubt that the Huawei modem/router would have a setting to turn off NAT while in DMZ mode, but you might want to do some exploring with the Huawei settings.

cannot get my 1 TB Lacie D2 disk connected to the AirportExtreme by ethernet cable to show up on the network. Could this be related to the Double NAT warning?

Macs (and PCs) that are on the AirPort Extreme network will be able to "see" the Lacie hard drive.....if the drive is formatted in Mac OS Extended (Journaled), also known as HFS+.

I tried without success to get Back to my Mac to work with my MacMini which is connected to the AirportExtreme via WIFI. Couldn't get connected using the iCloud settings for Back to my Mac in the AirportExtreme. Kept getting an orange status there.

Back to My Mac (BTMM) will not work through a Double NAT setup. If you want to use BTMM, you will need to find a way to configure the Huawei in pure bridge mode, so that it operates the same as if it were a simple modem.....not a router. If that is not possible, then you will to replace the Huawei modem/router with a bridge mode simple modem.

Feb 26, 2015 9:24 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Thank you for you response. I think I am beginning to understand. I can live without Back to my Mac. I was mostly just curious as to how it would work, but it is definitely not something that I cannot lived without.

With regards to the Lacie drive, I am still at a loss though. You mean I have to reformat the drive? I previously had it available over the LAN via the Huawei, but since I have redone things, I cannot see it. To be honest, I cannot remember what file system it uses. I have, however, been making Time Machine backups to it from two different Macs for years while it was connected to the LAN port on the Huawei.

On a more general level, do you think this is the best setup? I have previously tried using the AirportExtreme in bridge mode with the WIFI enabled but letting the Huawei hand out IP addresses. I think overall that the network works better with my new setup, aside from the Double NAT warning (which as I said doesn't seem to cause any real problems) and the problem with the Lacie.

Feb 26, 2015 9:44 AM in response to ArthurGaudio

I have, however, been making Time Machine backups to it from two different Macs for years while it was connected to the LAN port on the Huawei.

Then, the drive is already formatted correctly for Mac, and you will need to do some additional troubleshooting. Please tell us what you have done in that regard.

I do not recommend that users try to run a Double NAT on their networks, unless there are no other options. If things seem to be OK, then you might be able to get away with the Double NAT, but it can do some unpredictable things on a network.

Feb 26, 2015 9:41 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Not a whole lot. I have tried scanning the network with both the iNet and Fing apps. The Lacie drive doesn't show up. I have tried changing the Ethernet port that the Lacie drive is connected to, but that doesn't seem to make a difference. Though the green light on the ethernet port on the Lacie drive is shining as is the green light on the ethernet port on the AirportExtreme.

However, I cannot find the drive in Finded when I click on the LacieD2 link in the left panel. Nor can my time machine find the drive.

I am feeling at a bit of a loss what else to try...

Feb 26, 2015 10:39 AM in response to ArthurGaudio

An update. Stupid me. I had forgotten that I had (for some reason I cannot remember) set a static IP on the Lacie drive. It was an IP in a different series, so naturally it didn't show up. So problem solved. :-)

So now the only question that remains is what you think of the setup I have. Is it the best under the circumstances? I like it better, as I said, because it seems faster. I also like that this setup allows me to use BitTorrent Sync over the Internet, which was not possible when I was behind the Huawei firewall. One thing I notice is that when running ShieldsUp behind the Huawei firewall, all my ports were in stealth mode. But when I run ShieldsUp in the current configuration, the ports all respond, but they are closed. So perhaps not a big issue?

AirportExtreme and 4G/LTE modem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.