Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Portrait vs Landscape Printing

Even if my photo was originally taken in portrait view and shows up in my albums in portrait view, when I try to print it turns the paper sideways and prints in landscape view and cuts the top and bottom of the photo. I have looked everywhere I can think of to make it print in portrait view but this new version does not seem to have the old Page Setup capability. How do I get it to print in portrait view. OS X 10.2, iPhoto 9.6

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Feb 26, 2015 6:57 AM

19 replies

Feb 26, 2015 8:29 AM in response to TomWheatonJr

Is it all portrait photos that do this or just a few? What type of camera are the photos from?

Try this basic troubleshooting procedure:

1 - delete the iPhoto preference file, com.apple.iPhoto.plist, that resides in your

User/Home/Library/ Preferences folder.

2 - delete the contents the following folder: User/Library/Containers/com.apple.iPhoto

User uploaded file

3 - reboot, launch iPhoto and try again.

NOTE: For Mavericks and Yosemite, go to your Home folder and use the View ➙ Show View Options menu to bring the this window:

User uploaded file

where you can check the Show Library Folder checkbox.

If there is no improvement as a test launch iPhoto with the Option key held down and create a new, test library. Import some if the problem photos (export out of your current library as Kind = Original) photos and test to see if the same problem persists. Does it?

User uploaded file

Feb 27, 2015 7:33 AM in response to Old Toad

This happens with all photos that are in my albums in portrait mode whether or not they were originally taken in portrait mode or were later edited to portrait mode (i think). I am using the latest versions of iPhoto and Yosemite.

Before I start messing around with plists and folders and whatnot, are you saying that there is no longer any way that I can determine the orientation of the paper when I print from iPhoto? There is no menu listing that I can find where this is allowed. Changing plists won’t affect menus within iPhoto will it?

Feb 27, 2015 9:11 AM in response to TomWheatonJr

Before I start messing around with plists and folders and whatnot, are you saying that there is no longer any way that I can determine the orientation of the paper when I print from iPhoto?

Yes. It's done automatically by iPhoto. Deleting the preference file and cache files is the basic Troubleshooting 101 procedure. They get recreated the next time iPhoto is launched.

If resetting the preferences doesn't seem to correct the situation as a test launch iPhoto with the Option key held down and create a new, test library. Import some of the same original photos and test to see if the same problem persists. Does it?

Feb 27, 2015 3:04 PM in response to Old Toad

Wow! I do NOT have com.apple.iPhoto.plist. Files in my preference folder have

file:///Library/Preferences/com.apple.iPod.plist

file:///Library/Preferences/com.apple.iWork.plist

But no iphone.

Similarly, I do not have this folder:

Containers/com.apple.iPhoto

In fact, I have no files with iPhoto.plist or com.apple.iPhoto in them.

I have Yosemite 10.10.2 and when i look in Show View Options, there are only the first few lines of what you show. I only show icons and a couple of other things after "text size". There is no Show Library Folder.

My iPhoto library is in a separate drive (to save room on my MacBook Air's drive). Photos show up in iPhoto and in general searches, but I have had problems recently, and had to repair the library before iPhoto would open, but have not had any problems recently.

How do i get a new plist?

I also set up a new library and imported photos to it, but still have the same problem with printing and do not have a new plist file.

Any ideas? Should I reinstall iPhoto? If so, where do I get the file to reinstall, just download it from the App Store?

Feb 27, 2015 4:01 PM in response to TomWheatonJr

You must be in your Home folder which looks like this

User uploaded file

before the View option shows the Finder checkbox.

I ran the terminal command and now have more info under the View menu, but not Show Library Folder.

That command makes the Library visible. It has nothing to do with the View options for the Finder. The library you want to look inside of is the one like in my screenshot above.

Feb 27, 2015 4:35 PM in response to Old Toad

I was in my Home folder, etc. But I was looking for iPhoto after iPod, which is of course out of order. This time I caught my error and deleted the Preference file and the Container file. Rebooted a new library file, imported the photos, and still have the problem.

My Show View Options window does not look like yours.

Perhaps I need to reinstall iPhoto.

Feb 28, 2015 8:59 AM in response to TomWheatonJr

If there is no improvement as a test launch iPhoto with the Option key held down and create a new, test library. Import some if the problem photos (export out of your current library as Kind = Original) photos and test to see if the same problem persists. Does it?

Have you tried creating a new library and checking to see if the same problem exists in it?

Portrait vs Landscape Printing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.