Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Garageband forcing me to save old files as new ones

Hey all, I just got a new Macbook Pro with the latest OS and I assume iLife. I'm moving information from an old iMac over, a 2007 running 10.7.5. So far everything has gone smoothly except for garageband.

I moved my Garageband files over from the old HD and placed them in the "Music" folder just as they were on the old computer. However, when I double click the files to open them, it immediately gives me a save window and wants me to save the file as new file name, generally with a 1 at the end. Is this because I'm coming from old iLife software to new? I'm just surprised it doesn't keep the file name and just upgrade or update it. Is this normal? Essentially I stopped last night as I didn't want to have to go through and open every single file and save them as a new file.

Secondarily, I also noticed that the few I did open as a test, each one was missing loops. I didn't move them over assuming they were similar for same file names, and didn't want to save over the newer loops. Do I also need to bring over all of my old loops for the old to work?

Anyone have any idea what I need to do to have my old garagebands launch and work normally in my new Garageband? Am I moving it to the new computer incorrectly? Thanks!

Posted on Feb 26, 2015 7:52 AM

1 reply

Feb 26, 2015 10:12 AM in response to Cory Smith1

Cory Smith1 wrote:

Is this because I'm coming from old iLife software to new?

yes

Cory Smith1 wrote:

I'm just surprised it doesn't keep the file name and just upgrade or update it.

the decision was most likely due to GBv10 being so different from GBv6, and lacking some features the older version had. this way the original file could still be used with GBv6 (for those upgrading a single machine from v6 to v6, the older version is not replaced)

Cory Smith1 wrote:

Do I also need to bring over all of my old loops for the old to work?

yes, at least any that are missing

Garageband forcing me to save old files as new ones

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.