Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

moved library to external hd but thumbnails remain

Too many photos and movies making my mac run slow. Bought 2TB external drive. Moved all of my photos and movies there and will plan to do a 1x month transfer of files to the external drive to keep my mac running faster. Now when I open up iPhoto 9.6 on my Yosemite 10.10.2 I still see the old thumb nails. Of course if you drill into them you get the "!" as they are no longer on the mac. How do I get rid of the thumbnails and really empty the iPhoto library?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.0.x)

Posted on Feb 26, 2015 7:59 AM

6 replies

Feb 26, 2015 8:03 AM in response to dianefromspokane

How did you "move" theses photos and movies?

The correct method is

Moving the iPhoto library is safe and simple - quit iPhoto and drag the iPhoto library intact as a single entity to the external drive - depress the option key and launch iPhoto using the "select library" option to point to the new location on the external drive - fully test it and then trash the old library on the internal drive (test one more time prior to emptying the trash)

And be sure that the External drive is formatted Mac OS extended (journaled) (iPhoto does not work with drives with other formats) and that it is always available prior to launching iPhoto

And backup soon and often - having your iPhoto library on an external drive is not a backup and if you are using Time Machine you need to check and be sure that TM is backing up your external drive

The ! indicates a disconnect between the Thumbnail and the original

this can be caused by two things

1 - User action deleting items from inside the iPhoto library - can be directly - can be from the All images list (never delete from there) - can be from running cleanup software like MacKeeer, CleanMac2 or other dangerous, defective software that improperly deletes or changes things in the iPhoto library - if you have done any of these things you must restore your backup from before you did them and damaged your iPhoto library - and I recommend getting rid of any "clean up software" ASAP (although being essentially MalWear it is not easy)

2 - corruption of the iPhoto library - If it is not #1 then Back up your iPhoto library, Depress and hold the option (alt) and command keys and launch iPhoto - rebuild your database

LN

Feb 26, 2015 8:44 AM in response to LarryHN

I copied my iPhoto library to the ext HD by dragging it from the Finder - verified the files are intact, then dragged the iPhoto library into the trash. Took a long time to complete. Have since emptied the trash. Have verified the HD files are still in tact by opening the photos. I am wondering about the thumbnails that are left on the Mac version of iPhoto ... how do I rid them?

My other backup drive is now full and there is not enough space to back up my computer. This is part of the reason I wanted my photos and videos moved to another drive. I would love to keep backing them all up on time machine, but how? if once it fills it isn't deleting older backups?

Feb 26, 2015 9:11 AM in response to dianefromspokane

Something is wrong with what you are telling us - if you put the iPhoto library in the trash and emptied it then you have no thumbnails or anything else remaining from it - you either did something different or you have another iPhoto library floating around - iphoto only displays things in the current iphoto library

As to backing up - Yes TM will backup external drives - simply open the options in the TM preferences and remove the EHD from the excluded drive list

And I have no idea what you mean by

I would love to keep backing them all up on time machine, but how? if once it fills it isn't deleting older backups?

Yes that is how TM works (as do most if not all backup systems - a backup is NOT an archive - it is a backup of what you have - and the case of TM there is some limited archival capability but no long term archival capability)

LN

Feb 26, 2015 9:29 AM in response to LarryHN

I got rid of the thumbnails from iPhoto directly while waiting for your response. That's done. I have an empty library now and am setting it up new so all I have are my recent photo stream items. Good to go.

With respect to my backups. Different subject I know. I have an ext HD connected to my time machine but when it tries to run a backup it fails due to not enough space. I thought if I moved all my photos and videos to an ext HD it would free up space and be less cumbersome, but the back up drive is full except 33GB which isn't enough to back up anything. So confusing. How do you make space on the backup drive?

moved library to external hd but thumbnails remain

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.