Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why two Boot HD in EFI

When I boot and hold down option, I get two HDs to select from. Both are titled the same and both boot me to my OS. Is there a way to fix this?

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Feb 26, 2015 8:54 AM

19 replies

Feb 26, 2015 9:52 AM in response to dhoepp

Do you see EFI when you hold Option key (some call it the EFI Boot Selector or Manager)?

EFI has been there and could be seen in TechTool Pro years ago, and after using Disk Warrior 4

Do you have two or more boot volumes? I assume yes.

Slide out all the drives but the one you want and what do you see?

Your hard drive that the system is on has partitions for EFI (UEFI) and is where boot volume pointer is stored.

Feb 27, 2015 8:56 AM in response to dhoepp

I would want to clean up SMC and NVRAM. NVRAM needs to be cleared and it could be coming from PCIe controller, or from USB keyboard, something, and NVRAM needs to be done from power off / cold start, not from restarting.

I had a keyboard once that was causing some "minor" annoyance and issues - got a cheap keyboard, left my Apple on the shelf for month and was able to use it again. But for me, even zapping PRAM/.NVRAM was not going like it normally would and taking too long. Found out drive bay #3 was an issue too.

Why two Boot HD in EFI

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.