Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stuck on Boot 3rd Gen after upgrade to ios 8.1 via itunes following init

Yesterday the latest update was applied and the initialization questions completed.

The device rebooted and now it does not get past the apple logo.

If the power and home button are held down together it turns off. If the power button is pressed it displays the apple logo.

There is no other functionality.

Is there a way to fix this or does it need to be reset, or restored from backup?

The ipad was too full for a normal update but itunes thought it had enough space to upgrade.

It went through the initial init screens just fine after the upgrade. It was only after it went to reboot following this that there was a problem..

This iPad has Verizon service on a shared account. The sim card is not the one it shipped with.

It is 3rd Gen retina display 64gb wifi / 4G wireless

You would think there would be a community per model and a discussion about upgrades.

But alas no.

Posted on Feb 26, 2015 8:02 AM

2 replies

Feb 26, 2015 8:16 AM in response to zarthon

I hope you have a backup for the device because you will need to restore the device. To put your device into recovery mode plug the device into your computer with iTunes then press and hold the home button and the sleep/wake button. The unit will power off and turn back on, right before the Apple logo appears release the sleep/wake button and the iPad should show the iTunes logo. In iTunes open your device and press the restore button. When the iPad finishes reinstalling iOS, select your latest backup either from iTunes or on the device through iCloud backup and your device should be good to go.

Feb 26, 2015 8:21 AM in response to zarthon

When you did the initial update, how long did you wait before trying to reboot it? You may have tried to reboot before the installation was complete. If it were me, I would connect to iTunes & do a restore. if your iPad is very full ( mine is), the initial installation of the upgrade can take quite a while....sometimes the progress bar looks stuck but it's just moving very slowly. My iPad 2 took about an hour.

Stuck on Boot 3rd Gen after upgrade to ios 8.1 via itunes following init

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.