Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

file open dialog

i've had this issue with OSX for years and i'm finally fed up with it... not sure how far back it goes, or how far forward it goes, in OS versions.

i am currently in 10.6.8, yes i know, old.... and also still run OS9 as my other daily workhorse.

so the issue is: when using the "file open" dialog (or any other dialog that requires navigating through folder hierarchy) and navigating to a folder that contains numerous folders of art files (i organize files in monthly folders with individual job name folders).

going all the way back to system 7 (i have little recall of system 6, i may have done it the same then) i use keyboard shortcuts to navigate through dialogs. cmd-o, navigate to folder with arrows and returns, then type the first letter of the folder i want to open, most times there are numerous folders beginning with "p" for example. In OSX when i type the letter it highlights the first occurance of said letter at the FRIGIN BOTTOM of the dialog window, which requires even more navigating usually with the mouse, then having to make multiple clicks to open the file i want to open. i find this very counter productive, so many extra steps, considering i do this hundreds of times every day. In the same day i will open almost as many files in OS9 with far fewer steps. CMD-O, a couple arrow down keys, a return or two, type the first letter of a folder i want to open and it highlights the first folder that begins with that character IN THE MIDDLE of that dialog box. from there it's usually very convenient to see where the actual folder is i want to open, ie, arrow down 3 times and return, return and the file is open.

so, my question is: when using a dialog window in OSX (to open a file or any number of things) when i type a character to move the highlight to the first occurrence of that character, is there a setting i can change to make that occurrence appear at the top, or middle of the dialog box?

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Feb 26, 2015 8:50 AM

1 reply

Feb 26, 2015 9:05 AM in response to jcreag

is there a setting i can change to make that occurrence appear at the top, or middle of the dialog box?

Not that I know of. OS X will always move to the nearest spot with the least amount of movement of the displayed list that matches the key pressed. When the matching letter is off the list, that is. In your example of OS X above, if you pressed h, the highlight would simply move to hj family.

file open dialog

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.