Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keyboard lag in Mail.app on Yosemite

Pretty much well known buggy behaviour of Mail.app

I am not able to find any solution from currently available on internet.

I was really trying hard to resolve this, but no luck.

If you have any new ideas how to solve this, please feel free to write them down here.

For me the biggest curiosity is why sometimes i don't get any lag and sometimes there is lag like ****.

Lag like **** is most of the time 🙂 so like in 80% of time i am trying to write mails.

BTW this started to happen after i installed newest version of Yosemite 10.10.2 (14C109).

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), 13" & 15" 2014 models

Posted on Feb 26, 2015 9:39 AM

12 replies

Feb 26, 2015 12:50 PM in response to Geneosity

1. Open a message-editing window. Under the Edit menu, deselect all the options in the Spelling and Substitutions sub-menus. Test.

2. Many problems with Mail are caused by iCloud Drive. If you use the service, open the iCloud preference pane, click Options... next to the iCloud Drive box, and in the sheet that opens, uncheck the box marked Mail. See whether there's an improvement.

Feb 26, 2015 1:16 PM in response to Linc Davis

Unfortunately neither of these suggestions worked. I don't use iCloud drive and unchecking those boxes (and changing the font, as some suggested) did not work either.

I've got an iMac, MacBookPro and an Air - same problem on all three computers with the Mail app. A cursor that leaps back, space bar that is unreliable - it's driving me crazy.

Wish I were savvy enough to reverse the upgrade.

Feb 26, 2015 1:35 PM in response to Linc Davis

Well there are many people reporting same problems like i have. This started after 10.10.2 upgrade as i said previously.

I have 3 Macbooks Pro with Yosemite ... 2x 15" and 1x 13" and all are brand new and 2014 models... same problem on all.

They have different apps loaded and different accounts but same Mail.app lag on each machine....

So this is definitelly issue.

I don't feel i am pro Mac user, just switched 6+ months ago but i think i know what is bug and what not.

I even found a bug in OS X recovery process when you install your Yosemite from USB stick... but this is another story and topic 🙂

I don't know what to do... just trying to gather enough people with same problem to see if there is workaround or not.

Exactly same approach i did for the touchpad lag issue which was 9 months old till Apple fixed it with 10.10.2 release.

Mar 22, 2015 3:23 PM in response to Geneosity

Hi all, I'm a participant in the super-long thread. There are indeed a lot of people who've been wrestling with this problem. We're feeling pretty perky over there though... I've got no lag here after almost a week. There are the two things that seem to be working.

System wide: Go to System Preferences > Extensions > Actions and untick the "Markup" box

Mail only: Customize the new-message toolbar (open a new message, right-click/control-click on the tool bar, select "Customize Toolbar" and add or subtract something - especially the "Markup" icon, but changing anything may work)

If somebody feels frisky they could do the customize-toolbar thing *only* and see if that fixes the lag in Mail. I did both at once and don't know which thing actually did the trick. I was experiencing very minor lags in other applications, which also seem to have gone away (although they were much less noticeable so it's hard to know for sure).

Keyboard lag in Mail.app on Yosemite

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.