Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

keychains

A box keeps popping up saying can't find keychain to store Safari so I can't access my email Help !!!!!

Posted on Feb 26, 2015 11:36 AM

1 reply

Feb 26, 2015 12:22 PM in response to candace j

If you've just changed your login password in Recovery mode, follow these instructions. Otherwise, see below.

At some point, you may have reset your keychain to default in Keychain Access. That action would have caused your login keychain to be renamed.

Back up all data before proceeding.

In Keychain Access, delete the login keychain from the keychain list. Choose Delete References when prompted, not Delete References & Files.

Triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it, then copy the text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C:

~/Library/Keychains

In the Finder, select

Go ▹ Go to Folder...

from the menu bar, paste into the box that opens (command-V), and press return. A folder will open. Rename the file "login.keychain" in that folder to something like "login-old.keychain". Rename the file "login_renamed_1.keychain" to "login.keychain". You can then close the folder.

Back in Keychain Access, select

File Add Keychain...

from the menu bar. Add back the file now named "login.keychain". If any of your needed keychain items are missing from it, also add back the file you named "login-old.keychain". I suggest you transfer any needed items from that keychain to the login keychain, then delete it. The transfers are made by drag-and-drop in Keychain Access. You'll need to enter your password for each item transferred.

keychains

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.