Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot connect to 2.4Ghz network, can connect to 5Ghz. Get password error when attempting to connect.

I have a new Airport Express, replacing an Airport Extreme that died. With the Airport Express, I am unable to log into the 2.4Ghz network, but can log into the 5Ghz network. Had no problems with the Airport Extreme. Both networks show in the list of available networks..

Posted on Feb 26, 2015 9:54 AM

3 replies

Feb 26, 2015 5:35 PM in response to 62isucyclone

Did you setup the Express with new names or a direct replacement of the old Extreme?

Did you reboot the entire network.. restart in correct order.. modem.. then Airport then clients??

Answer those and I can dream up some more..

What clients are having this trouble?? That could be important. ie is it computer.. what OS? iOS device.. what one and model?

Feb 27, 2015 12:47 PM in response to LaPastenague

Yes, I have set it up with direct replacement names. I had rebooted everything once or twice before, but did it over again and the problem went away. All of my devices were having the problem, 2 MacBook Pros, 2 iPhones, an AppleTV and a Canon printer. During initial setup had gotten an error two or three times before it finally let me continue with the setup.. Thought I might have a bad Airport Express...

Feb 27, 2015 2:16 PM in response to 62isucyclone

When you replace and use the same name.. everything gets confused.. you don't see it but it is like you changed your address but forgot to tell the postoffice.. and expect them to deliver your letters based on name only.

It is better to setup with new name and then nothing is confused.. or you must stop and restart the whole to clear out all memory of the old address.

Cannot connect to 2.4Ghz network, can connect to 5Ghz. Get password error when attempting to connect.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.