Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mount Volume

On a iMac running SL, I want to automount a network volume and place it on the desktop for ANY user to see. However, I want the student to click on it the mounted volume and enter there own login information. I can add the network volume to Login Items but I want the student to logon to the volume with there own information.

For example, take a network volume called OUSER and I add it to the Login Items. I want Mary (student) to logon to the Mac and I want Mary to see the OUSER (network volume) and I want Mary to enter her username and password.

I want the network volume to be on the desktop regardless of which student logon on to the network. Next, I want the student to click on the network volume and a dialog box appears asking for them to logon.

Do I make sense? I don't want the teacher to ask every student to perform the GO-Connect to Server- logon- select the network volume. I want the network volume to appear on every user's desktop and logon to the network volume.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Feb 26, 2015 9:11 AM

3 replies

Mar 2, 2015 12:33 PM in response to pfisher112

Go to Safari

Enter: afp://server

Drag the URL from the URL field to the desktop. This will create a Safari shortcut, that will mount the specified AFP file server

Replace afp with smb if you want to use a CIFS/SMB server.

You could do something using an Automator Workflow app. The easiest way that I know of is to use "Run Shell Script" specifying:

open afp://server

-OR-

open smb://server

There may be fancier ways to do this with Automator.

There is also Applescript, but I'm weak with Applescript. But I'm sure a Google search would turn something up.

Mount Volume

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.