Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I'm new to Apple from Android. Have question regarding available storage capacity.

My new iPad is showing available storage of 2.1GB, but when connected to my computer via iTunes, the computer reports 7.57GB available. Can someone tell me which is correct? Thanks!

iPad Air, iOS 8.1.3

Posted on Feb 26, 2015 9:28 AM

5 replies

Feb 26, 2015 1:06 PM in response to Phil0124

Hi,

I find the available storage when I go to Settings>General>About...

I have an iPad Air 2, newest generation...only have had it a couple of days...

With my Samsung tablet I had, the storage amount on the device always agreed with the report from the computer

when I connected the tablet. This discrepancy with the iPad I do not understand....😕. I just want to know how much

space I really have....

Thanks!

Feb 26, 2015 1:16 PM in response to tlafemme777

Here's what I've found that usually corrects the discrepancies between the device & iTunes...a simple device reset. Unplug the device from the PC, then do the reset, then reconnect to the PC/Mac and check it again under iTunes.

Device Reset (won't affect settings/data/music/apps/etc)

1. Press and hold (& continue to hold) BOTH the Sleep/Wake button & the Home button.

2. Continue to hold BOTH (ignoring any other messages that may show) until you see the Apple logo on the screen.

3. Release BOTH buttons when you see the Apple logo and allow the device to boot normally.

Feb 26, 2015 1:22 PM in response to tlafemme777

I agree with SergZak, usually both numbers should agree. If they don't a reset may fix that as it will recalculate.

If you go to Settings->General->Usage Does the Storage there agree with the 2.1GB?

Form there if you tap on Manage Storage you should see a list of Apps and how much storage their files and data are using. That should also agree.

With that said, iTunes is generally correct.

Feb 28, 2015 12:18 PM in response to Phil0124

Hi,

I did the reset and the discrepancy still exists. Available per the iPad is 1.7GB and 7.15GB per iTunes. Its a 16GB tablet and capacity on the device

says only 12GB. From the usage info if I take the amount used and add the available it comes to 12GB. Don't know how iTunes is reporting 7.15GB available, unless the capacity on the device is incorrect.

😮Wow, so if the device is true, I had way more apps and photos on my 16GB Samsung tablet and only used about half the space....ever. Never a problem. I don't have any photos or videos on this device yet and already almost out of space..not impressed with this unfortunately...😟

Thanks for the advice, though! 🙂

I'm new to Apple from Android. Have question regarding available storage capacity.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.