Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB 3 hard drive undetected (anywhere) only works if plugged into USB port on apple Keyboard

I have the 2013 Mac Pro: OSX 10.10.2, 512GB SSD, Quad Xeon, Dual D500's.

I am using a (powered by adapter) toshiba 2TB external USB3 HDD

Until last week the hard drive worked fine under OSX, however since then it is completely undetected if plugged into and of the 4 USB ports on the Mac Pro

However if I plug it into one of the two USB ports on my apple wired keyboard (the one with num pad) it it detected and mounts no problem.

Normally only mice work in the keyboard USB ports (if I plug in a USB stick it says something along the lines of not enough power). There is nothing wrong with the hard drive, I've tested it on other computers, also the same thing happens with a 2.5" hdd I have on a SATA to USB adapter. (I do not know if this is USB 2 or 3, but it only functions plugged into the keyboard, and it doesn't have external power, everything is drawn through USB)

Any solutions?

I'm not looking for "ignore the issue and keep plugging it into the keyboard" as I've been told elsewhere, that's not a solution. I'd prefer to sometimes use a wireless keyboard, and therefore do not wish to plug in an additional wired keyboard just to use my hard drives.

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), Quad Xeon, 12GB RAM, Dual D500 GPU's, 500GB SSD,

Posted on Feb 26, 2015 10:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 26, 2015 10:46 AM

Try resetting the SMC and NVRAM

Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

About NVRAM and PRAM

When now plugged directly into the Mac what shows in System Report under USB?

Does anything show in Disk Utility?

6 replies

USB 3 hard drive undetected (anywhere) only works if plugged into USB port on apple Keyboard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.