Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

are new extremes stronger better than one five years old

I have an apple extreme and express that are about 5 years old. Are the new ones "better"?

Posted on Feb 26, 2015 11:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 26, 2015 11:30 AM

Yes, in terms of features, speed capability and signal range.

5 replies

Feb 26, 2015 12:10 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Thanks. I have been using an express and extreme (like 5 years old) to extend an xfinity wifi. They happen to work ok most of the time. Signal as strong as the xfinity network. But was thinking that the new ones might have a more better strength and signal as you pointed out. Now I wonder, can I use 2 express or must I have at least one extreme?

Feb 26, 2015 1:16 PM in response to Jamathang

The current model of the AirPort Express is called a 2nd Generation version and it is model number A1392. The order number is MC414LL/A.

Apple stopped the Generation naming when they introduced the AirPort Extreme 802.11ac in June 2013. That model number is A1521. The order number is ME918LL/A.

The best setup that you could have would be 2 AirPort Extremes

Next best....one AirPort Extreme and one AirPort Express

Next best.....two AirPort Express

Compare the products here: http://www.apple.com/compare-wifi-models/

Word to the wise.....Apple traditionally introduces new products in June. The "new" AirPort Extreme will be two years old at that time and the "current" AirPort Express will be three.

If you are not in a rush, it might not hurt to wait for a few months to see what, if anything happens.

are new extremes stronger better than one five years old

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.