Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bootcamp: The disk cannot be partitioned because some files cannot be moved.

Hi guys,

New to mac here, using MBP mid 2014, OS 10.10.1 and am trying to bootcamp for the first time. I met this error:

The disk cannot be partitioned because some files cannot be moved.

Back up the disk and use Disk Utility to format it as a single Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume. Restore your information to the disk and try using Boot Camp Assistant again.

Have tried the method of repair disk from DU to no avail.

Since it is a new laptop, I wouldn't worry about losing data, but would like to ask you guys on what is the best course of action.

Thanks in advance (:

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Feb 26, 2015 12:59 PM

15 replies

Feb 27, 2015 4:19 PM in response to Loner T

Hi Loner T,

Thanks for your suggestion, however I did a step wrong and I am facing another bigger problem.

Step 1 was to use time machine to backup OSX, looks like I failed to do that, and only backed up the data instead. Because after I erase my internal disk, I cant restore from TM.

So now the situation is that I can't access my HD, can't reinstall Mac to that hard disk (it is not detected), Cant use DU to repartition the hard disk as well, option not selectable.

What can I do now? 😐

Bootcamp: The disk cannot be partitioned because some files cannot be moved.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.