Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

yosemite mobile account creation/modification

Greetings,

In earlier versions of OS X Server, there were mobile accounts; accounts that had a home folder residing on a server, and also cached to the local machine. I use this for most of my user accounts.

With Server.app, workgroup manager was deprecated, but I couldn't find any place in Server.app to make a new account be a mobile account, or to set the home folder to a different server, or to create a new template. Workgroup manager was still available though, so I could do all those things in it.

Now I'm getting ready to upgrade to Server 4.x on Yosemite, and apparently Workgroup Manager is no longer functional. I can't find any documentation that tells me how to do these tasks in Server.app.

How do I make a new mobile account in Server.app?

I can see where I can change the home folder of an account either in Directory Utility or in Server.app ->Advanced, but both of those are after the account has been created and it will have already generated the home folder structure on the OD Server and not on the home folder file server. For that matter, Workgroup Manager had the convenient "Create home now" button, which doesn't exist in Server.app that I can find. Must I really generate the new account and then copy the home folder to the file server (or make a script to mkdir the entire home folder structure on the server)?

How do I make a template, so that once I have a user created the way I want it to be, I can generate more users using that template?

Thank you,

John

Mac mini, OS X Server, 10.9.1 server

Posted on Feb 26, 2015 10:39 AM

There are no replies.

yosemite mobile account creation/modification

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.