Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Texts failing in 8.1.3

Randomly, I cannot text people that I regularly text ('Not Delivered' in red font appears). If I then call that person and ask them to text me, I receive their text just fine and THEN I can return text them. What's up with this? I've rebooted the phone and turned imessage on and off to no avail.

iPhone 6, iOS 8.1.3

Posted on Feb 26, 2015 11:26 AM

5 replies

Feb 26, 2015 11:30 AM in response to remlerman

Are these messages going to users that have iPhones? If these are messages to non-iOS device users, then it is a regular SMS. SMS is a carrier function, and there is not setting on the iPhone that can be changed to affect them. Contact the carrier and ask them to check your account to make sure you have an SMS plan and that it is working properly.

Feb 26, 2015 2:10 PM in response to remlerman

Then if you are referring to iMessage, then you need to make sure that both you, the sender and the receiver both have an active data connection. If either of you lose connection, then the iMessage can fail. Try turning iMessage off, then do a reset on the phone. Hold the sleep/wake and home buttons together until you see the Apple logo and then release. After the phone reboots, go back and turn on iMessage. Make sure it activates and attempt your iMessage again.

Feb 26, 2015 2:58 PM in response to remlerman

Chris: I appreciate your help! I should also have pointed out that the problem seems to be an iMessage issue rather than what I described simply as 'texting'. Case in point: my grown son and I both have iPhone 6's. I tried to send him an imessage and got repeated 'Not Delivered' messages (and indeed he did not receive the messages). I've been able to press the red question mark icon on the 'Not Delivered' message and choose 'Send as Text' and this seems to get the message through. Nothing explains why iMessage will suddenly no longer be able to get through to another iPhone that I know to be on and connected. By the way, per your advice, I did turn off iMessage, reboot my phone, and tried again to send an iMessage. No help.

A colleague of mine reports the same issue with her iPhone 5s.

Texts failing in 8.1.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.