Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to change Preview window size

trying to resize the window from 8.5 X 14 to 8.5 X 11. When I try printing out, and I go to the preview document menu the image is 14 in rather than 11 in... so I get the wrong size and partial page printout. How do you readjust PREVIEW's window size. MacBook 2007 running 10.6.8. Thanks

MacBook (13-inch Mid 2007), Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Feb 26, 2015 10:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 26, 2015 12:47 PM

The printer output is regulated by settings under the Print control, in most every

application including Preview. That would be a place to try & change it for the

document you are having trouble with. Other problems, if they re-occur, may

invite some other course of action. Perhaps if the Print settings do not work

as expected, run Disk Utility's 'repair disk permissions' to see if that helps...

In some instances, and depending on source, there are some files that do not

like to obey the usual settings; or some that will not be as expected. On occasion

there are .PDF items that won't work correctly in Preview. Some of them like to

be addressed by Adobe Reader instead, due to authorship preferences.

Good luck and hopefully you can tell your Mac to just do it... 😝

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 26, 2015 12:47 PM in response to Brian Anderson3

The printer output is regulated by settings under the Print control, in most every

application including Preview. That would be a place to try & change it for the

document you are having trouble with. Other problems, if they re-occur, may

invite some other course of action. Perhaps if the Print settings do not work

as expected, run Disk Utility's 'repair disk permissions' to see if that helps...

In some instances, and depending on source, there are some files that do not

like to obey the usual settings; or some that will not be as expected. On occasion

there are .PDF items that won't work correctly in Preview. Some of them like to

be addressed by Adobe Reader instead, due to authorship preferences.

Good luck and hopefully you can tell your Mac to just do it... 😝

Feb 27, 2015 6:48 AM in response to K Shaffer

Thanks for responding Shaffer. I'll look into those suggestions. I couldn't get any of the drop menu items to work as they were greyed out and the document info showed the window as 8.5X14 but I couldn't get to change that ratio. As a matter of fact the item is a PDF but I don't have this problem opening the document with my desktop iMac 2007 running 10.6.8 as well. In that case the printer menu gives me letter size options which I'm not getting in the laptop. I'm realizing now as I'm writing this that perhaps I could reinstall the HP printer software that I'm using on both machines.Hmmm... Thanks again

How to change Preview window size

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.