Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I connect airport extremes using a wired-switch connection and have roaming capability?

My goal is to have 2 airport extremes and 1 timecapule connected via an ethernet switch so that I can enable roaming. I have no problems connecting them wirelessly where I create the wireless network on a primary airport wireless then add the others "extending" the network. However, if I attempt to do the same thing with a wired connection everything stops working (no connections from any airport). Here's the topology I'm trying to achieve. I believe my problem relates to the switch and the fact that I am serving up DHCP from a separate server. Is there a way I can achieve this (or similar) type of configuration? Thanks in advance.

BTW, I have read the various documents on the roaming network topology but none seem to be a match to this.

User uploaded file

Airport Extreme-OTHER

Posted on Feb 26, 2015 12:38 PM

8 replies

Feb 26, 2015 4:00 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Thanks for the response. Bob.

To answer your question, yes, if I _only_ have the main "create wireless network" airport connected/wired to the switch, everything works correctly.

Also, if I have each of the 3 airports/timecapsule "create wireless network" using the same ssid name and passwd/protocol, everything works correctly (but of course, no roaming under this scenario).

Also, if I have the main "create wireless network" configured and have the 2 other airports "extend the network" and _not_ have them connected via the ethernet cable, everything works correctly (wireless airport interconnection)

However, if I plug the 2 other "extend the network" airports into the switch via ethernet, all connectivity shuts down.

Does this help explain?

Feb 26, 2015 4:26 PM in response to timbrazil

To answer your question, yes, if I _only_ have the main "create wireless network" airport connected/wired to the switch, everything works correctly.

OK, got that.

Also, if I have each of the 3 airports/timecapsule "create wireless network" using the same ssid name and passwd/protocol, everything works correctly (but of course, no roaming under this scenario

Sorry, you have me confused on this one. When the AirPorts are all configured to "create a wireless network", use the same SSID, security and password, and all AirPorts are in Bridge Mode........that is the exact definition of a "roaming" network.

Not sure what you mean when you say "no roaming" in this configuration.

Also, if I have the main "create wireless network" configured and have the 2 other airports "extend the network" and _not_ have them connected via the ethernet cable, everything works correctly (wireless airport interconnection)

That is correct.

However, if I plug the 2 other "extend the network" airports into the switch via ethernet, all connectivity shuts down.

This is not a correct setup. The "extend" setting on the AirPort assumes that they will connect using wireless. If you then try to connect an Ethernet cable to an AirPort that is expecting a wireless connection, that will result in a big feedback loop and effectively crash the network.

Feb 26, 2015 8:33 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Hi Bob

> Sorry, you have me confused on this one. When the AirPorts are all configured to "create a wireless network", use the same SSID, security and password, > and all AirPorts are in Bridge Mode........that is the exact definition of a "roaming" network.

> Not sure what you mean when you say "no roaming" in this configuration.

I think I'm the one that is confused. I was under the impression that if you "create a network" using the same ssid and password/protocol and bridge mode on each of the airports, they don't roam. In other words... If you start your laptop in one area of the house, you are essentially locked to the nearest airport unless you relocate to a different airport area and restart your network connection. It sounds like I'm wrong.

Thanks a lot Bob

How can I connect airport extremes using a wired-switch connection and have roaming capability?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.