Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari redirecting to "Alert" page and not functioning.

While I was doing research for work (I teach social studies), I clicked on a link to view a worksheet another teacher had posted online. The link redirected me to a new page www.apple-alert-online.com/popup/ and the popup window says "Suspicious Activity - Major Security Issue" and to call apple support at 800-656-8559. I cannot get off this page, click out of the box, or do anything in safari, every button is gray and cant be clicked. I have quit safari and re-opened and it opened to the same page. Shut down and restarted my computer and it opened to the same page. HELP PLEASE!

MacBook Pro (13-inch Late 2011), OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Feb 26, 2015 12:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 26, 2015 12:12 PM

Choose Force Quit from the Apple menu, close Safari, and then launch it with the Shift key held down. If that doesn't work, temporarily disconnect the computer from the Internet.

(123180)

9 replies

Feb 28, 2015 9:52 AM in response to jackson7721

my wife actually called this number after she got a similar popup and after a long wait a guy got on and the guy told her to click on function and the apple in the upper top - and then tried to keep her on the phone for several minutes... which he succeeded in doing. once she did this - "miraculously" she was able to get back online... any ideas on what they accomplished? i have pulled the computer offline and changed every pw at our home - but the actual computer had some sensitive information on it. does it need to be wiped out?

Feb 28, 2015 11:12 AM in response to jpgreen10

If your computer has been accessed remotely, you should consider the computer now compromised. If you used a credit or bank card as payment for this "service" consider them compromised as well. Contact your bank for instructions on how to best deal with the fraud.

For more complete answers, please post a new thread so it will attract folks that may know more about how to assist.

Feb 28, 2015 1:57 PM in response to jpgreen10

Yes, he accomplished stealing your passwords, banking details, paypal, and all sorts of other things. Your wife is now a target for Identity Theft, and so are you if any of your own details are compromised.

Why would you let a perfect stranger on a number you got off a scamming internet site into your computer?

Please suggest to your wife that this was not the wisest thing to have done, but do this after you have contacted your bank (etc) to change passwords, and changed your Mac admin password too.

Feb 28, 2015 2:03 PM in response to Lurkums

thanks for much for the replies... i have spent all morning, changing passwords, SSID on wifi, cancelling credit cards and signing up for AAA myidentity theft (heart it was better than lifelock - but who knows?)... working on assumption that every single pw, credit card, bank account and all social secirity numbers been stolen.

horrible lesson for my wife...

i called the number back ---pretended to be gullible - got the full drill - guy says he is from Apple andcomputer is compromised and let him do a remote session so he can fix it....

i just wonder is 5 minutes on the computer enough so that he can download all my contacts and all my files?

Feb 28, 2015 2:12 PM in response to jpgreen10

Sometimes we need big lessons such as this one. Posting about it has warned other people. You and your wife have performed a service.

Five minutes is long enough for him to do what he needed to do. I am not experienced enough with Macs to know whether he might have deployed some sort of trojan on your machine, but others are. Please read Viruses, Trojans, Malware - and other aspects of Internet Security and perform online research to determine what else you may need to do. It sounds as if you have done a comprehensive security change, but sweeping for malware is a good idea.

Safari redirecting to "Alert" page and not functioning.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.