Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Youtube & Vimeo Compression Settings.

Hello i am using Compressor 4.1.3 and im trying to figure out the guidelines for youtube compression. There are many different variables and alot of suggestions from other users that are just guessing at what box to check.

As we all know the default compression settings in compressor 4.1 for youtube and vimeo are not correct.

Vimeo makes it really easy by posting it here:

https://vimeo.com/help/faq/uploading-to-vimeo/compression-tutorials#compressor-4 11

Step by step - very easy.

Google offers this:

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/1722171?hl=en

Very general settings - Non specific to compressor

Does anybody have the bottom line on Compressor 4.1 youtube compression settings?

Mac Pro (Mid 2010), Mac OS X (10.7.2), powerbook 17". Emac(s), 9600, IIGS.

Posted on Feb 26, 2015 12:20 PM

3 replies

Mar 2, 2015 8:06 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

The Picture on top is the default vimeo setting in compressor. The bottom is the settings that Vimeo provides. I have tried the default settings and get warnings when i upload to vimeo. Im thinking this must be the same for youtube since i get warnings when i upload a video compressed with the default settings. I made my own custom settings based off of what youtube suggests. I dont get warnings but im guessing at some of the settings. Im gust looking for an official guide if it exists.

Mar 2, 2015 8:30 AM in response to coligreens

This article is a few years old but has a lot of useful info. Since that article was published, Compressor has added (as your screen shot shows) CABAC entropy.

FWIW, I ignore the complaint messages from Vimeo and YT and usually encode according to the built-in settings in Compressor. Sometimes, however, I'll use x.264. There are also plenty of folks who upload very large Pro Res files because they know their material is going to be re-compressed and they want to err on the side of inputting too much info rather than too little. Of course, that means lengthy upload times.

Russ

Youtube & Vimeo Compression Settings.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.