Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have an excel file that I save on a flash drive that I use in windows excel as well as mac excel. I can't, however, edit the file in mac excel, only the windows environment I can. Help!

How to eliminate read-only excel file in mac that doesn't exist with same file in windows excel

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Feb 26, 2015 1:04 PM

3 replies

Feb 27, 2015 9:15 AM in response to pkpennykirk

pkpennykirk wrote:

How to eliminate read-only excel file in mac that doesn't exist with same file in windows excel

If the flash drive has an NTFS format, which is a Windows standard format, your Mac will be able to read or copy a file from it but not write to it without third party extensions. The most common solution is to use Windows to reformat the flash drive in exFAT format (which the Mac can both read and write to) and then copy the file back onto it.

I have an excel file that I save on a flash drive that I use in windows excel as well as mac excel. I can't, however, edit the file in mac excel, only the windows environment I can. Help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.