Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have Verizon FiOS service for phone, internet and TV but I only have one TV hooked up for it for just basic cable service with no DVR and no need for widgets. Can I use an Airport Extreme as my router and not use the FiOs router?

I want to use an Airport Extreme as my router. I currently have a Verizon FiOS router. I have Verizon for phone, internet and TV. However, TV-wise, I just have a basic service for one TV with just a regular box. No HD, no DVR. Don't need access to a menu, widgets, on-demand. Can I eliminate the FiOS Router and just use the Airport Extreme and still have phone and internet?

Posted on Feb 26, 2015 1:09 PM

9 replies

Feb 26, 2015 1:25 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Thank you for your response. I'm trying to get better speed on my TiVo and Apple TV to reduce the wait for buffering. I have 75/75 FiOS service and get more than that on the wired connection to my Mac. However, my iPhone 6 Plus and iPad do not and, I assume that the TiVo and Apple TV don't either. I know that it will increase my wireless coverage in my house but will it increase the speeds?

Feb 26, 2015 1:38 PM in response to ddisist1

I know that it will increase my wireless coverage in my house but will it increase the speeds?

Not sure what you are asking here. The AirPort Extreme is only going to be as fast as the Internet connection that it receives.....which is 75/75. It cannot take a 75/75 connection and make it go any faster.

If you locate the AirPort Extreme in an area where you need more wireless signal coverage, the AirPort Extreme would deliver 75/75 in that area. But, keep in mind that the AirPort Extreme must connect to the FIOS router using a permanent, wired Ethernet cable connection.

If you are asking if the AirPort Extreme can wirelessly connect to the FIOS modem router, and extend the FIOS wireless network, the AirPort Extreme would not be compatible with a FIOS product for that purpose.

Feb 26, 2015 1:49 PM in response to ddisist1

The iPhone can't handle or process much more than about 45-50, maybe 60 Mbps. The iPad uses the same operating system, so I would expect it to do about the same. I have a 100 Mbps connection, and the iPhone won't ever connect at any faster than about 50 Mbps. Nature of the beast.

Temporarily, turn off the TiVo and Apple TV and move your laptop close to the point where they are located and take a look to see what speed they are receiving at that location. What does it look like?

I usually use www.speedtest.net to check Internet connection speeds. You may have another app that you like to use.

Feb 26, 2015 1:57 PM in response to ddisist1

Any laptop will do. You could use an iPhone or iPad as well, but it won't be as accurate as a laptop.

If you hardwire the AppleTV, you will not have a buffering problem, since there is no signal loss in a wire up to 330 feet, or about 100 meters.

A wireless signal loses speed the further that it travels from the router and with any obstruction (wall, ceiling, furniture) in the direct signal path.

Feb 26, 2015 2:11 PM in response to Bob Timmons

I just did a speediest on the iPad using the ookla speediest app. Placed right next to the router and it was 78.83/75.00. Placed on the Apple TV it was 72.73/45.51. Although there was a big difference in Upload, the Download speeds weren't much different. I'm thinking the wireless might not be the issue causing the buffering problem. Although, if it's not that, I don't have a clue what it could be.

Feb 26, 2015 2:17 PM in response to ddisist1

Try the hard wire connection between the FIOS and the AppleTV if you can. Remember that you will have to set up a new connection on the AppleTV when you connect the Ethernet cable.

If you still have problems when you try a wired connection, then it is time to suspect a defective AppleTV.

If the problems go away with a wired connection, then you know that you are picking up some form of wireless interference from cordless phones, other wireless networks near you, WiFi security cameras, any number of the things.

I have Verizon FiOS service for phone, internet and TV but I only have one TV hooked up for it for just basic cable service with no DVR and no need for widgets. Can I use an Airport Extreme as my router and not use the FiOs router?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.