Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

projector killed hard drive under newly installed yosemite??

hey folks!

i connected my macbook pro (mid 2012, non-retina) to a projector today and as i did that everything froze. i disconnected the projector, but no change. i forced a reboot and got a light grey screen with a blinking folder and question mark. it turns out my internal hard drive is dead.

i updated to yosemite last week and have had smaller issus since then when connecting to a projector (black space where the keynote window was before which only vanished with a reboot).

can anyone tell me, whether my hard drive dying has anything to do with the update to yosemite (my warranty ran out 2 weeks ago)? anyone with similar problems?

thanks!

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on Feb 26, 2015 1:49 PM

5 replies

Feb 26, 2015 3:01 PM in response to minopilus

minopilus wrote:

can anyone tell me, whether my hard drive dying has anything to do with the update to yosemite (my warranty ran out 2 weeks ago)?

I think it is very unlikely that the two are connected.

It is more likely (though not certain) that something weird happened when plugged into the projector. Like a bad cable or a bad port that maybe allowed some kind of power surge back into the motherboard that might have affected the hard drive. But let me emphasize...this is a very unusual problem that should not have happened. Thousands of Mac laptops are plugged into projectors every single day in corporations and schools and universities. It is not a problem that should be expected to happen.

Also, dying hard drives have not been reported by the thousands of Mac users who have also done the Yosemite upgrades. I have two Macs that upgraded to Yosemite without a problem.

I don't know what the real cause was, but chances are it was a fluke. One possibility: The hard drive was already having undiagnosed problems, and this just pushed it over the edge.

projector killed hard drive under newly installed yosemite??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.