Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I need/want to download my photos from my EHD that was last used by Windows 7

I just bought a MacPro and would like to download my photos from the EHD that I was using last with Windows 7. How do I do this without making a mess of everything. I have about 2000-3000 photos and would not like to lose them

Mac Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Feb 26, 2015 2:16 PM

12 replies

Feb 26, 2015 2:37 PM in response to deanfromolympia

You can drag the complete folders onto your Mac, and them simply import them to iPhoto if necessary.

There's really nothing to mess up. All you would be doing is copying folders. It works just like it does on Windows.

Once they are copied onto your Mac, you can then choose to import them into an iPhoto library.

iPhoto '11: Import photos from your hard disk or other computers

Feb 26, 2015 3:18 PM in response to deanfromolympia

What happens when I plug the EHD into my Mac?

That depends on information you do not share - most likely it will show up on your desktop and you will be able to see its contents - then drag each folder of photos to the iPhoto icon in the dock and it will import them into iphoto in an event with the name from the folder - once they are in iphoto you can disconnect the drive - and be sure you have your backup set up and running on the Mac

LN

Feb 26, 2015 3:26 PM in response to LarryHN

For starters Thank You. What do you mean by "That depends on information you do not share"? What information would that be? Also please explain "be sure you have your backup set up and running on the Mac". Do I have a backup program built into my Mac. If so I am certain that it is not set up nor is it working, because I have no idea where it is.

Feb 26, 2015 3:37 PM in response to deanfromolympia

You really need to take a few clases on personal computers and the Mac

Details like what format the drive is, how it is connected to your Mac, what version of the Mac OS and of iPhoto you have, what format the photos are and any other details that only you know that affect this process

and if you do not know what a backup is you are at great risk - computers fail, software fails and humans fail - with no backup when those happen you lose data - yes your Mac has backup software included in your applications folder - TimeMachine - https://www.apple.com/support/timemachine/ - you need an external drive roughly 2 to 2 1/2 times the size of your main drive - a TimeCapsule is a great choice for people with little knowledge or experience) and start running TimeMachine with its default settings so you have hourly backups

LN

Feb 26, 2015 4:01 PM in response to LarryHN

Well honesty is not always the best policy. My problem is learning about what the Mac can and cannot do or will or will not do. I have been using Windows since the mid 1970's and have survived long enough to run a major division of a $ 2 billion/year Design Build/Project Management Company. However, things are totally different and foreign to me.

I realize that I am at risk without having a back up in place, but since I have had this computer for less than 1 week, it has not been a high priority, since I have not put any of my personal information on it. That is what i am trying to do, a little at at time. i don't have all day to sit and look at a very small screen with very small fonts that I cannot change due to the inability of Apple to allow larger fonts where it is needed the most. So time is limited to a few hours here and there. So when you say something about -TimeMachine or TimeCapsule- you are basically speaking Greek.

I was hoping to speed up the learning curve by asking the Support Forum for a little help, but I did not realize the you had to be a Apple Genius before you could get help from the Forum. And that being said, your comments are unappreciated and unwarranted. With that said, i feel sorry for you, but thank you just the same for the little time you have spent

Feb 26, 2015 4:10 PM in response to deanfromolympia

No need to be a genius - but yo do need to read a bit and possibly learn to use Google - Try typing TimeCapsule into Google - you will be amazed at what you can learn if you try just a tiny bit

No need to feel sorry for me - I am just fine and my Mac is working great - you are the one with problems and as long as you attack rather than try you will continue to have them

As to getting help here - you have been given exact and specific instructions on how to import your photos to iPhoto - and some other hints to help keep you out of bigger problems

Now you choose weather to use the information you've been given or just to just be a smart aleck (when you do only you lose)

You have a nice day now you hear!

LN

Feb 28, 2015 10:18 AM in response to deanfromolympia

deanfromolympia wrote:

What happens when I plug the EHD into my Mac?

The same thing that would happen on Windows. It would show up as an extra hard drive on your desktop or Finder (Finder is the equivalent of Windows Explorer), you can open it and view the files on it, and use your mouse to select and then drag and drop the folders onto the Mac Desktop or an other folder in finder just like you would on Windows.

In essence you will use it pretty much the same way you used in on Windows 7.

Its un likely anything catastrophic will happen. If you are able to run a multimillion-dollar company, operating a computer should be simple.

Trying things out is the first thing you'll want to do. Click things and find out what they do. You have free 24/7 phone support from Apple. And should anything really bad happen while you trying out things, The Genius Bar at your local Apple store can also help you fix them for free.

There should be no need to be afraid, and as long as you apply the basic concepts from windows you should be find. Yes some things are a little different, but functionally, all computers operate in the same general the same way. If you can do it on windows it should work very similarly on Mac.

I came from Windows, and Mac very easy to learn. There are still some things that get me some times, like how the end key does not take you to the end of a line, but rather the end of a document. But all in all, its not that different to Windows.

I need/want to download my photos from my EHD that was last used by Windows 7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.