Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Crucial SSD hardware encryption needed for FileVault?

I'm looking at the current line of Crucial SSDs for my MacBook Pro. I already have a Samsung Evo SSD in it, but for various reasons I think the Samsung EVO needs to go and I would not recommend them for Mac users (they apparently require TRIM, which is a pain in Yosemite, and the EVO continues to have anunresolved performance bug).

In the new Crucial line you have the MX and BX series. The BX100 has an attractive price, but on the spec chart the BX series lacks hardware encryption. Because I use FileVault, my question is this:

Will the lack of hardware encryption in an SSD make FileVault run noticeably slower than it would on an SSD with hardware encryption? Put another way, is FileVault accelerated by the hardware encryption on an SSD? Or are they not connected?

Any other comments on the MX vs BX series for a MacBookPro 8,2 ?

MacBook Pro (15-inch Late 2011), OS X Mavericks (10.9.5), MacBook Pro

Posted on Feb 26, 2015 3:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 26, 2015 4:39 PM

FileVault makes no use of hardware encryption on the drive, though it does use hardware acceleration in the CPU. As far as I know, all modern SSD's encrypt data internally with a random key stored in non-volatile memory. When the drive is erased, the key is deleted, making the data unrecoverable.

3 replies

Crucial SSD hardware encryption needed for FileVault?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.