Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Won't allow port forwarding applications

I've been trying to set up a port for some online gaming with friends. Before I've used apps like Port Map to easily port forward, but ever since switching to an airport extreme it hasn't let me. I've tried manually setting up ports and that doesn't work either. Would really love to know how to allow access to these applications or at least know how to set up a correct port. Couldn't call up apples technical support because apparently the airport isn't covered by apple care. Help please soon!

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Feb 26, 2015 1:26 PM

7 replies

Feb 26, 2015 5:20 PM in response to bear31899

The apple peripherals are covered by applecare on your computers.. so it is covered.

Port forwarding is only required if the Airport is the main router of the network.. ie on the network tab it is showing DHCP and NAT.

The instructions for port forwarding are repeated over and over in this section.. just search.. apple uses the term port mapping which is the same thing.

here is good summary done by Tesserax who has excellent documents under user guides as well.

AirPort Extreme and xbox 360

look at guide for port mapping.

AirPort - Port Mapping Basics using AirPort Utility v6.x

May 3, 2015 2:26 PM in response to Davinhd

Did you read the AirPort Extreme and xbox 360

Tesserax does a good job of showing exactly what you type in each box.

2. Setup Port Mapping on the AEBSn.

While still on the Network tab:

• Click the "+" (Add) button under the Port Settings dialog box.
  • Description: <you must enter a description here; it can be anything you want>
  • Public UDP Port(s): 53, 88, 1863, 3074
  • Public TCP Port(s): 53, 80, 1863, 3074
  • Private IP Address: <enter the DHCP Reserved IP address for the Xbox you created earlier>
  • Private UDP Port(s): 53, 88, 1863, 3074
  • Private TCP Port(s): 53, 80, 1863, 3074
  • Click Save
  • Click Update and allow the AirPort to restart.

So you have the Port Setting Dialog box open.

User uploaded file

Put each line into the right box.. and click save.. and there you have port mappings..

So to give you exact picture of what that would look like.. I have prefilled one in for you.

User uploaded file

Go thou and do likewise..

Only instead of the xbox ports use your applications required ports.

If you cannot open the port setting dialogue that is because you do not have the airport in DHCP and NAT mode.. which it has to be .. port mapping is only relevant to a router.. running in full NAT router mode.

May 8, 2015 9:51 PM in response to Davinhd

Port forwarding is only required for connection outside your LAN.. it should work by wifi or ethernet inside LAN..

Sorry you need to make it clear what you are trying to do..

Exactly what port /s are you opening..?

can't access from out side the wifi.

Does that mean you can access from wifi.. but not ethernet?

Please post a few screenshots of exactly your setup .. summary screen from the Airport.. and the port mapping setup..

I cannot help with generality.. I need specifics.

What modem.. make and model??

What model airport.. ? What firmware?

What game or application you are trying to get working?

How is whatever it is connected to the network.. how have you made sure it is dhcp static??

etc.. give me the works.

Airport Won't allow port forwarding applications

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.