Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot update apps downloaded with old Apple ID after changing ID

My wife and I used to share my Apple ID on all mobile devices (iPhone 4S, iPad 2) and Mac so we could share contacts, calendar, purchases (apps & music). My Apple ID was an inactive email address. When I bought my iPhone 6 I decided to change Apple ID to a current email address and she created her own Apple ID for her iPhone 4S and iPad 2. Figured we could still share data through Family Share. Changed Apple IDs on all devices to the current ones.

Now, she cannot update apps on her devices as she gets message that her apps were downloaded with another Apple ID. It asks for password for that Apple ID (my old ID), and the passwords for my previous Apple ID and my new password don't work. I tried deleting the apps off her devices and then installing again from the Mac we backup to, but that did not work.

Also, is there a way to share contacts and calendar through Family Share or some other way. We don't seem to be sharing any longer since making all these changes. Why did I make the changes? Because using the same Apple ID on all devices was causing me to get her text messages and vice versa, and other strange things after updating to iOS 8.

I have iPhone 6, she has 4S and iPad 2. Have a MacBook Pro circa mid-2010 running Yosemite, version 10.10.2. Mobile devices run iOS 8.1.3

obdoc54

iPhone 6, iOS 8.1.3

Posted on Feb 26, 2015 2:52 PM

2 replies

Feb 26, 2015 3:19 PM in response to obdoc54

It is a good thing you made 2 separate Apple ID.

I tried deleting the apps off her devices and then installing again from the Mac we backup to, but that did not work

It's normal it didn't work because you are reinstalling apps (that are on the Mac) that were purchased/obtained from your Apple ID. She needs to reinstall them through the App Store on her device, using her Apple ID.

share contacts and calendar through Family Share or some other way

Calendars can be shared through iCloud (A)(without Family Sharing), or using the following method (B) used for the contacts.

Contacts can neither be shared through iCloud or through Family Sharing.

To get them synced: Get all of your wife's contact on your iOS device. (you can send them to your iOS device through iMessage)

then go to your wife's iOS device: Settings --> Mail, Contacts, Calendar.

From there, disable her iCloud contacts, then add YOUR iCloud account, and select only contacts (and calendar if you want the method (B)).

This should answer all your questions.

Cheers

Mar 10, 2015 3:21 AM in response to Japib

Hi:

I think you did answer all of my questions. I did what you suggested on my wife's devices and it all seems to be working. The calendar events seem to share as long as I add them to my "Family" calendar.

I am disappointed that the Contacts do not share/update/sync without going through the process you suggest. It was so convenient before when we shared the same Apple ID. If I added a new contact she would have it immediately and vice versa. If I updated an address or telephone # she would also have it.

obdoc54

Cannot update apps downloaded with old Apple ID after changing ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.