Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

notes folder "on my mac" is empty, but can't delete/hide it

I have a macbook pro mid-2012, iOS 10.10.2 and was using the notes application that came with my computer. I was disconnected from the internet and was typing some notes for class. The note stored on the folder "On My Mac." Once I reconnected to the internet, my note synced to the rest of the notes on my iCloud account folder, but the folder "On My Mac" is still listed. The folder is empty and useless, but I can't delete it or hide it from the list of folders. Is there a way to delete this folder?

I've tried to delete the folder using control+click then selecting delete, but the option is not available. I can do this with any other folder I create.

Thank you

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Feb 26, 2015 4:09 PM

5 replies

Mar 14, 2015 5:32 PM in response to Brownshark84

Hi there. I don't know whether you're still looking for an answer to this, but this just happened to me too, and for a little while it was seriously frustrating trying to figure out a way of getting rid of the "On My Mac" folder. I figured it out and thought I'd leave my solution here to save you and anyone else the frustration.

1. Quit Notes if it's open.

2. Go to Internet Accounts in System Preferences.

3. Pick an account you don't normally use Notes with (I used my Google, for which I had only turned on mail). Turn on Notes (check the box) and close System Preferences.

4. Open your Notes app again. Now, instead of the iCloud folder + useless On My Mac folder, you will see iCloud + Google instead.

5. Quit Notes, and go back to System Preferences. Uncheck Notes for your Google account.

The idea is to temporarily force it to recognise a new cloud service, which gets rid of the need for local notes. Open Notes again to check - this should leave you with iCloud only 🙂

Aug 17, 2015 10:30 AM in response to Xiao Bo

The On My Mac folder managed to find its way into my Notes app again, and when I tried my method I posted above a second time it didn't work for me either. Looks like it was a bit hit-or-miss. I found another solution though, and this worked for me:

1. Backup your notes, just in case. Quit the Notes app.

2. Delete the notes folder (com.apple.Notes) in Library > Containers. To access the Library folder (normally hidden) in Finder, hold option, and in the menu click Go > Library.

3. Turn off iCloud notes (System Preferences > Internet Accounts > iCloud > uncheck Notes).

4. Reboot.

5. Turn on iCloud notes.

6. Open the Notes app. On My Mac should be gone, and only iCloud should remain.

Tested and working on OS X Yosemite 10.10.5. Hope this helps.

notes folder "on my mac" is empty, but can't delete/hide it

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.