Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

File Sharing issue with Excel files since Security Update 2015-001

On a Late 2013 Mac Pro I'm running Mavericks 10.9.5 with Server 3.2.2. Over the past couple of weeks I've been getting an increasing number of complaints from users getting a Low Memory Usage error when saving excel files on the server. The issue doesn't happen from Windows clients. Once a user gets the error they have to completely disconnect from the server and reconnect. Sometimes the file will say it's corrupted and I'll have to touch it from a Windows box, save with a new name, and replace - It's extremely frustrating for everyone. Right now I have my users with the most issues connected with nfs. They're okay for now, but I would like them back to using afp/smb asap.

System logs on the server and client are not helpful at all in determining what is causing the issue. The syslogs report nothing at all when an error occurs.

Given the time frame, I suspect it has to do with Security Update 2015-001 or the latest MS Office patches. The security update seems more likely to me since it affected the kernel, afp, and kerberos. I kinda doubt it is MS Office because 14.4.7 updates security for Word and Office Web Apps while the 14.4.8 update only affected functionality in PowerPoint and Outlook.

So far I've done the following:

- remake the excel files

- reboot the server

- re-install os x and office 2011 on a user workstation

Any help in resoling this would be seriously welcome. Thanks in advance!

Mac Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Feb 26, 2015 3:20 PM

1 reply

File Sharing issue with Excel files since Security Update 2015-001

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.