Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am considering using my iPhone 6 as a GPS when traveling in Italy. No doubt I will also need connection to their mobile phone services. How does that work?

I am considering using my iPhone 6 as a GPS when traveling in Italy. No doubt I will also need connection to their mobile phone services. How does that work? I'm sure many have done that already.

Posted on Feb 26, 2015 2:18 PM

3 replies

Feb 26, 2015 2:23 PM in response to angapmac

Depends on what exactly you want to do.

Your local cell carrier is sure to have Roaming plans you can use in Italy. That is you connect to italian cell towers, but you use your own cell service plan from home, and its charged to you current bill. Contact your carrier for information.

Alternatively if your iPhone is unlocked, you can potentially buy a pay as you go sim card form an Italian carrier and insert it into the iPhone and use a local Italian carrier instead.

Most of the time this can be cheaper than Roaming plans since you can control the Pay as You Go option. Though you may need to be able to read soe Italian to recharge the sim card when it runs out.

Feb 26, 2015 2:25 PM in response to angapmac

Well, the first thing you must do is have your device unlocked from your wireless carrier. They are the only ones that can unlock your device. Apple will not have any control in this. Just call them and let them know you will be traveling abroad and they can hook you up. Once you are there in the country you will traveling to, you can obtain service with any carrier in that area.

Once you have service, you will then have to restore the device with the SIM card from that carrier. Make you have a backup before you restore, as you do not want to lose your data.

I am considering using my iPhone 6 as a GPS when traveling in Italy. No doubt I will also need connection to their mobile phone services. How does that work?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.