Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Alternate cooling options for 21.5" late 2013 model iMac?

Currently using smcFanControl to boost the integrated fan's speed to 3200 RPM, and run at around 100 degrees Fahrenheit. Was thinking about sealing up any cracks (and the vent), drilling a small hole in the back for a filter, and filling him up with some mineral oil. Doubt it'd be worth the time or resources, but I can't have my iMac helping my hackintoshes (which within the next month are going to be liquid nitrogen cooled) heat my room up anymore. Any suggestives/constructive criticism welcome. <3

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Feb 26, 2015 1:49 PM

2 replies

Feb 26, 2015 7:44 PM in response to OperandB

Mineral oil in what!!!!!?????

You do not know what you are talking about or doing??????

You are running the fans waaaaay toooo fast!!

The fans are acting like a vacuum, sucking in even more dust, lint and dirt into your iMac making run even hotter!!!!

The fan speed should be much, much slower!!!!,

You should only be running the fans between 15% to 20% percent or so faster than the fans default speed to retard internal dust and lint accumulation and to prevent premature failure of the fan motors.

You may have to take your iMac into an Apple Store and have them clean out the insides of your iMac as it seems as if running the fans at this high an RPM has introduced a lot of dust and let into your iMac already causing it to heat up a LOT more.

If the temps are bothering you, you can run the internal fans at the 20%-25% max. fan speed and then run a small high RPM desktop fan and have it blow cooler air the iMac's aluminum back panel where it becomes the hottest.

You should NOT be running the internal fans at or near 3200 RPM. No way....no how!

Alternate cooling options for 21.5" late 2013 model iMac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.