Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I get iTunes to scan my media folder and add missing files?

Hi All!!

I recently copied my iTunes library from my macbook to set up iTunes Server on my Sinology NAS. I did this by changing my iTunes Media Folder Location in the Advanced Settings tab, and then consolidating my library. I then changed my Media Folder Location back to my iTunes Media folder on my macbook to be able to play my local media.

However, now my local iTunes thinks some of my library is on my server and doesn't see the local, original file. Whenever I disconnect from the server my iTunes does not locate my local media content (which was not changed or modified during the process). The only solution so far is to individually locate each song. Is there a better way of doing this? Is there a way to make iTunes scan my iTunes Music folder to find the song locations, without duplicating the songs in my library and deleting the play counts/ratings???

I have already tried opening iTunes with the option key held, and selected my local iTunes media folder/library; however, I am still having the same problem

Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

Thank you!

PiotrowskiM

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Feb 26, 2015 4:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 26, 2015 4:25 PM

With iTunes it is: 1 entry in iTunes = 1 file in one location

The only way you can do what you want would be to have duplicates which represent one file on one drive and the second copy on the other drive.

Consolidating media meant you told iTunes to put the file on the NAS and to use it there. It is to that file your reference points. You can't re-a it back to the external without consolidating back there. You can add the files on the internal to the library and then iTunes will have two copies in the library. The second one will arrive as "new" files with no rating and no playcount, etc.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 26, 2015 4:25 PM in response to PiotrowskiM

With iTunes it is: 1 entry in iTunes = 1 file in one location

The only way you can do what you want would be to have duplicates which represent one file on one drive and the second copy on the other drive.

Consolidating media meant you told iTunes to put the file on the NAS and to use it there. It is to that file your reference points. You can't re-a it back to the external without consolidating back there. You can add the files on the internal to the library and then iTunes will have two copies in the library. The second one will arrive as "new" files with no rating and no playcount, etc.

Feb 26, 2015 5:01 PM in response to Limnos

Hi Limnos,

Thank you very much for your prompt response!!

My goal, when I consolidated my files to my NAS, was to create a copy of my library on my NAS to be used for iTunes server, so I can stream the media to my PC's in my house. I did this following an instruction guide made by Synology. However, I did not intend for my macbook to stream media from the server. Ideally I would like for my iTunes in my macbook to just use my local files, which have not been changed/modified.

In summary, is there any way to point my iTunes to ONLY my local files???

Thank you again for all your help!

Feb 26, 2015 7:48 PM in response to PiotrowskiM

Consolidate the files back to the internal drive. I believe since you are doing this drive to drive it will copy the files rather than move them (moving drive to drive is copying + deleting rather than moving). This will leave a copy of the files on the NA where presumably your NAS server software will take care of them but put a copy on the internal drive and iTunes will re-map to that location. Note in doing this iTunes will no longer be managing the files on the NAS.

Feb 27, 2015 8:50 AM in response to Limnos

Thank you so much for your help Limnos!!! Consolidating my files solved the problem you are amazing! However, it doubled the size of my local media folder, but, I think thats because it consolidated all of my songs into a new 'Music' folder in my iTunes music folder. I should be able to delete the old folders and be all good!

Thank you again for your wonderful support, you are a life saver!

How do I get iTunes to scan my media folder and add missing files?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.