Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do we have a version control, at any allocated or specified location, everytime we save the file or change the file in a specific location?

Operating System : Yosemite OS X

I am trying to find a way to be able to extract the previous working versions of the file without having to add these files to any source control or IDE.

Like I want to be able to retrieve and revert the last version of my ms docs or any other file for that matter. I have seen that there was something like this in OS X lion.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!Do we have a version control for any allocated everytime we save the file or change the file in a specific location?

Posted on Feb 26, 2015 4:37 PM

11 replies

Feb 26, 2015 4:54 PM in response to sbYosemite

sb

I was a new media developer for many years. I learned that I must do version control for adding functionality coding, so I got in the habit of CMD+SHIFT+S - SaveAs iterations... filename+date+01.ext > 02, 03, 04, etc. [a lot easier if set "Do not show extension" pref set] - no helper app, just did when it was called for, now just a habit.

ÇÇÇ

Feb 26, 2015 6:59 PM in response to sbYosemite

Versions still exists in OS X Yosemite. It hasn't "quietly disappeared" at all.

Microsoft has not supported it, though. So, you won't be able to use it with their products.

Most of the Apple apps are supported.

It works like the Time Machine interface. Not only can you restore a whole, previous version, but you can also cut and paste parts of older versions into the current one.

Feb 26, 2015 7:29 PM in response to Barney-15E

Interesting - I tested with a Pages and a Text Edit document (in Yosemite) and could not get any versions to appear. But, I must admit, as I did not like either that or the Resume feature, I deleted the contents of the Saved Applications State folder and then locked it many moons ago (it's been so long, I actually forgot about it) - could that be the reason that there won't be any versions available on mine?

Feb 27, 2015 9:50 AM in response to sbYosemite

The entirety of the germane portion of the page OS X Yosemite: View and restore past versions of documents <support.apple.com/kb/PH18862>

Does not seem to refer to any specific App, does it?

It begins - "Many apps..." = Implies the APP must have the functionality built-in ( ? )

OS X Yosemite: View and restore past versions of documents

Many apps automatically save versions of documents as you work on them. At any time, you can browse through document versions and go back to an older version. You can also explicitly save a version.

A version is saved automatically every hour, or more frequently when you’re making many changes. A version is also saved when you open, save, duplicate, lock, rename, or revert a document.

Browse, restore, duplicate, and delete versions

1. Open the document, then choose File > Revert To > Browse All Versions.
  2. Click tick marks along the timeline to browse versions.
  3. Display the version you want, then do one of the following:
    • To restore your document to this version, click Restore.
    • To duplicate this version in a new document, press the Option key and click “Restore a Copy.”
    • To delete this version, move the pointer to the top of the screen to show the menu bar, then choose File > Revert To > Delete This Version.
    • To leave your document as is, without changes, click Done.

Explicitly save a version

Choose File > “Save.”

To save the document using a different filename, location, or format, press the Option key and choose File > “Save As.”

Revert a document to the last opened version

Choose File > Revert To, then choose Last Opened, Last Saved, or Previous Save.

Last Modified: Nov 18, 2014

User uploaded file

ÇÇÇ

Feb 27, 2015 12:34 PM in response to sbYosemite

Pages and Numbers have this same capability. I think whether an app takes advantage of this capability is determined by whoever wrote the app. Naturally, the Apple apps tend to show this feature. But others do as well. For example, TeXShop (a front end to the TeX typesetting engine) has it.

Feb 27, 2015 12:59 PM in response to sbYosemite

Sounds like Time Machine would be your best bet to save revisions of files over time. Time Machine backs up changes hourly. It will retain the changes for as much data and disk space you have. The advantage to Time Machine is that it works with everything. It will also save your bacon if your disk suddenly fails. Its as simple as attaching an external disk and turning it on. It runs a complete backup, so you need a disk larger than your Mac's disk.

Do we have a version control, at any allocated or specified location, everytime we save the file or change the file in a specific location?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.