Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Numbers can't open file says index.xmlfile missing

Was working on my files this morning. Now I cannot open them it says the documents are invalid and that the index.xml file is missing. I need to retrieve these documents.

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Feb 26, 2015 3:27 PM

6 replies

Feb 27, 2015 2:48 AM in response to segars

Hi segars,

Adding to Sparkleberry's reply,

Wayne Contello has written a User Tip for working with the old and new versions of iWork.

Need newer version of Numbers to open file

The trick is to drag icons for both versions to your Dock. Right click or control click on each and Options > Keep in Dock. That puts you in charge of which version you launch.

Here is a screen shot of both Numbers icons on my Dock.

Numbers 2.3 (Numbers '09) on the left with a three column graph.

Numbers 3.5.2 on the right with a four column graph.

User uploaded file

Both versions will run happily together. Just be sure which version is opening your document.

Instead of double clicking the document, run whichever version of Numbers/Pages/Keynote suits and use File > Open.

Regards,

Ian.

Feb 27, 2015 4:34 AM in response to Sparkleberry

Hi Sparkleberry,

Thank you for your positive reply. We need people such as you in these forums. Please keep posting in this 'Numbers for Mac' forum and please continue to post in the (ahem) Boilerplate 'Pages for Mac' forum.

My preferred versions of iWork are Numbers 3 and Pages 5. Occasionally, I use the 'older' versions when I can't see how in the 'newer' versions.

To safeguard our important documents against future changes, I suggest archiving as plain text for Pages documents, and archiving as Tab-Separated plain text for Numbers documents. Formatting and pics will be lost, but the data will be safe.

When you post, ignore the Trolls and don't reply to them. Replying only feeds the Trolls 😉.

Moving forward,

Regards,

Ian.

Feb 27, 2015 6:30 AM in response to Yellowbox

I work in a mixed OS environment but am starting to use Numbers/Pages for small jobs now and then. Numbers is still the biggest challenge for me - it's almost too fluid (read that as Mac like) compared to Excel.

Most likely had I started in Numbers I would say something profound: Excel is too rigid compared to Numbers 😉

Yes, let's move forward, Ian!

Feb 27, 2015 6:51 AM in response to Sparkleberry

Hi Sparkleberry,

Yes, let's move forward, Ian!

Thanks, mate.

Especially with the Pages dinosaurs who continue to look back to iWork '09.

Most likely had I started in Numbers I would say something profound: Excel is too rigid compared to Numbers

Most likely, had I started in iWork '13, I would say that the interface is clean and intuitive.

Regards,

Ian.

Numbers can't open file says index.xmlfile missing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.