Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Peace of Mind

I am a paranoid individual when it comes to technology. It is a fickle beast and I've been bit before.

I just recently upgraded my home desktop system from a 2006 iMac operating off Snow Leopard (OS X 10.6.8) to a 2015 iMac operating off Maverick (OS X 10.9.5). I had A LOT of digital design files (Ai, PSD, PDF, TIF, etc.) in addition to documents and photographs on my old system because I had it for 8+ years. I used the Migration Assistant to move all this data from the old iMac to the new via Wifi. I did not have the 2 machines hardwired for this transfer. The transfer took about 18-19 hours but when it finally finished the complete screen said it was successful. I now want to wipe my old machine clean and donate it, BUT I am worried that something may have been missed or unsuccessful in it's transfer.

What are the odds something didn't quite make it over tot he new iMac even though the Migration Assistant program said the transfer was successful?

iMac (27-inch, Late 2013), OS X Mavericks (10.9.5), iMac Intel, late 2006

Posted on Feb 26, 2015 5:14 PM

2 replies

Feb 26, 2015 5:21 PM in response to MelCar23

Since you already admitted to being paranoid, the only solution that will be acceptable to is to backup everything from the old Mac just in case before you clear it off to get rid of it.

If you are a really severe paranoid, you would of course make multiple copies of it.

I will leave that up to you to determine your exact degree of paranoia.

Having said all of that, I have used Migration Assistant multiple time and it has worked flawlessly for me everytime.

Yes. I backup.

Worked in IT for over 25 years, I am also paranoid about backups.

Feb 26, 2015 6:29 PM in response to MelCar23

Allan and I are chips off the same block. I don't have a backup. I have multiple backups - multiple TimeMachine, multiple clones, multiple archival backups of data and I keep two backup drives out of the house at all times. It isn't paranoia if the world really is out to get you 🙂

Before erasing the old computer I'd back it up at least once to an external hard drive. Why at least once? Because the fire that destroys the house, the thief that steals the computer, can do the same to your backup drive that's in the house. It would be bad luck in the extreme for a thief to hit both your house and your mother/brother/best friend's house the same day.

Peace of Mind

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.