Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Water-damaged Mac; how-to retrieve data from capsule?

I spilled water on my MacBook Air yesterday, and I want to retrieve my data from my Time Capsule.

Can I use another MacBook on the same Wi-Fi to access my files and reset my network password? I unfortunately wrote down my new passphrase on my water-damaged Mac 😟.

Also, if I reset the passphrase for my Capsule, does that reset that erase the contents?

MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Feb 26, 2015 3:29 PM

1 reply

Feb 26, 2015 4:06 PM in response to albert_101

You can access the info in TM from another Mac.. although Yosemite seems to be making this more painful that it was.

In your case, you can either migrate the data or setup a USB drive on the MacBook and do a full restore to that drive..

You might also be able to extract just the files you need.

Pondini is helpful but Yosemite came out after the guy who wrote it died.

See Q14-17 here. http://pondini.org/TM/FAQ.html

17 in particular relates directly to your question.

On the home page is loads of info on doing restore and migration.. it is for Lion and Mountain Lion but still very helpful as apple did not include enough instructions.

Of course you should read the Apple docos. OS X Yosemite: Restore items backed up with Time Machine

If your password is stored in the keychain that might not be recoverable.

If your password is in a file that is.. btw a log book you know that you write in with a pen.. is electronic failure prooof.. write down passwords in ink on paper.. really works. Electronic storage of electronic storage is like sawing off the tree branch you are sitting on.

Also, if I reset the passphrase for my Capsule, does that reset that erase the contents?

No data on the hard disk is affected.

Factory reset universal

Power off the TC.. ie pull the power cord or power off at the wall.. wait 10sec.. hold in the reset button.. be gentle.. power on again still holding in reset.. and keep holding it in for another 10sec. You may need some help as it is hard to both hold in reset and apply power. It will show success by rapidly blinking the front led. Release the reset.. and wait a couple of min for the TC to reset and come back with factory settings. If the front LED doesn’t blink rapidly you missed it and simply try again. The reset is fairly fragile in these.. press it so you feel it just click and no more.. I have seen people bend the lever or even break it. I use a toothpick as tool.

N.B. None of your files on the hard disk of the TC are deleted.. this simply clears out the router settings of the TC.

Water-damaged Mac; how-to retrieve data from capsule?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.