Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how long does battery last?

How long did your macbook air battery last for you before you started noticing serious drops in battery capacity?

Posted on Feb 26, 2015 4:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 26, 2015 5:24 PM

That really depends on how you treat it. My 2011 MBA turned 3 in December and has just over 100 cycles since I use it plugged in more than I do on battery. But I make sure to unplug it at least once a month and use it that way until the indicator is red (about 30 minutes left). Between age and Yosemite (which did take off about 10 - 15 minutes a charge) I get about 30-40 minutes less than I did when it was new.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 26, 2015 5:24 PM in response to yellowdingo

That really depends on how you treat it. My 2011 MBA turned 3 in December and has just over 100 cycles since I use it plugged in more than I do on battery. But I make sure to unplug it at least once a month and use it that way until the indicator is red (about 30 minutes left). Between age and Yosemite (which did take off about 10 - 15 minutes a charge) I get about 30-40 minutes less than I did when it was new.

Feb 26, 2015 5:48 PM in response to yellowdingo

apple recommends that it be used on battery a minimum of once a month not until it totally discharges, completely discharging the battery is very bad. I'll plug it back in when I get the warning I'm on reserve power. apple claims the battery should still charge to 80% of its original charge after 1000 cycles - a cycle being a full discharge and charge (using it on battery until it has halfway discharged and charging it twice would also be one cycle,) I have a 2009 MBP that was getting about 80% of original after more than 4 years but began to drop to about 65% in the next 18 months. It didn't get 1000 cycles but 4 years impressed me.

how long does battery last?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.