Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wireless wifi extender. Airport express

I Am trying to use airport express as a wireless wifi extender. I can't get the hardware to connect to my existing wifi signal. What do I do. Obviously not a techie

iPad 2 Wi-Fi

Posted on Feb 26, 2015 5:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 26, 2015 5:05 PM

Where can we get help?

3 replies

Feb 26, 2015 6:52 PM in response to Steve franklin

Explain what you have as your current WiFi router. Is it an Airport Extreme, Apple Time Capsule, or another Aiport Express? If any of those, you should be able specify via Airport Utility on the added Airport Express:

Airport Utility -> Airport Express -> Wireless -> Network Mode: Extend a Wireless Network.

However, if your current WiFi router is from another manufacture, then I would suggest running an Ethernet cable from the existing WiFi router to the Airport Express, then configure the Airport Express as:

Airport Utility -> Airport Express -> Network -> Router Mode -> Off (Bridged Mode)

Airport Utility -> Airport Express -> Wireless -> Network Mode -> Create a wireless network

Airport Utility -> Airport Express -> Wireless -> Network Mode -> Wireless Network Name -> <specify the same name as your existing WiFi router uses>

Airport Utility -> Airport Express -> Wireless -> Network Mode -> Wireless Security -> <same as used by existing WiFi router>

Airport Utility -> Airport Express -> Wireless -> Network Mode -> Wirelelss Password -> <same as used by existing WiFi router>

Airport Utility -> Airport Express -> Wireless -> Network Mode -> Wireless Options -> 2.4GHz Channel -> different from existing WiFi router by 5 channels (1,6,or 11 ideal)

Airport Utility -> Airport Express -> Wireless -> Network Mode -> Wirelss Opitons -> 5GHz Channel -> any different channel from existing WiFi router

This will create a roaming network using the same WiFI SSID and Password. Since the Airport Express is in Bridge mode, both WiFi devices are on the same subnet as specified by the existing WiFi router, they both have the same WiFi SSID and password. As your devices move around the house, they will automatically switch to the WiFi base base station with the strongest signal (or at least when the loose one signal, they will switch to the other base station and you will not loose your connection. I actually use this setup in my home, except I use 2 Airport Extremes, but setting up a roaming network using Ethernet connecting the WiFi base stations will work with any mix of manufacture's devices.

If you cannot run Ethernet cable, you may be able to use a pair of PowerLine Adapters, that use your home electrical wiring as a substitute for ethernet cable. the speeds are not as fast as Gigabit Ethernet, but generally more than acceptable for most WiFi base station speeds.

Wireless wifi extender. Airport express

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.