Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I restrict wireless network access to specific devices/computers, using an Airport Extreme, when the WPA2 password is able to be found by other devices?

I have set up a wireless network in my office using a couple of Airport Extremes, and, for some reason, our Windows computers are able to view the password of the network. Well, given that we employ teenagers, you can imagine what happens when they all find out the password. We want to restrict network access to only those devices we deem necessary. How do I accomplish this?

Airport Extreme-OTHER, Windows 7, security problems

Posted on Feb 26, 2015 4:46 PM

12 replies

Feb 26, 2015 4:54 PM in response to SidMed

I have set up a wireless network in my office using a couple of Airport Extremes, and, for some reason, our Windows computers are able to view the password of the network.

Unfortunately, on a standard setup, security on the AirPorts is pretty much of an illusion. Macs can see the password as well.

We want to restrict network access to only those devices we deem necessary.

How many devices are you talking about here? All devices will connect using wireless?

Feb 26, 2015 5:26 PM in response to SidMed

In that case, I would recommend that you take a look at a commercial router or routers that will do what you need. Apple is fine at home for mom and pop and the kids.

If you want to try to setup Timed Access connection "rules" for the AirPort, I don't have a PC here to work with, and do not know whether the AirPort will handle that many setup "rules". I normally set up AirPorts with five or six device rules.

This may be a case of spending a few hours to find out that things don't work. Not sure if you want to proceed or not.

One final thought.....anyone who has physical access to the AirPort router can push the reset button for one second and get in and change anything they want.

Feb 26, 2015 5:53 PM in response to SidMed

Personally, I would not do this. That said, If I had no other choice, I would.......

Use Timed Access to set up a global rule of "No Access" for the wireless network.

Then, set up an "exception" rule for each device that you want to allow to connect, along with the timeframe that you want to allow the device to connect.

I have set up 8-10 rules in the past this way.....But do not know if you will be able to set up as many as 20 rules. Remember, these are routers designed for home use. There is a reason why the Apple Stores do not use Apple routers to run the network.

Might be better to wait and see if a PC user can help here, as I do not have a PC here to work with.

Feb 26, 2015 6:19 PM in response to SidMed

SidMed wrote:

We need 18-20 devices to access, all wirelessly.

You can keep using your Apple routers as AP devices.. but get a router running a secure OS as the actual router that controls the network..

If you have 18-20 teens on the network.. then setting quota and restrictions on bandwidth is far more important than time..

Gargoyle on a cheap router can do it.. eg WNDR3800 or the newer W1024ND v2.

Simply turn off the wireless in these devices.. and use the ethernet connection to the airport as WAP.

Honestly you just will never get the security or control using apple domestic routers.

Feb 27, 2015 8:15 AM in response to SidMed

I would recommend that you consult with an IT professional regarding your needs, and ask him/her to come up with a proposal for you that spells out exactly what the router that they install and set up will and will not do.

Since I picked on the Apple Store(s) earlier, I will give them a compliment now, since they use Cisco routers to run the network.

How do I restrict wireless network access to specific devices/computers, using an Airport Extreme, when the WPA2 password is able to be found by other devices?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.