Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OSStatus error -54 iPhoto Library Videos Missing

Hi All,

This is my first time posting to the community. My white Macbook (Core 2 Duo 2GB) running OS X (Not sure if its Lion or possibly older) became slow and stagnant because the drive became full so I swapped the old drive with a new SSD. Upon swapping I went ahead and copied the entire "USERS" folder to an external hard drive. After installing the latest OS X Yosemite and installing iPhoto, I plugged my external hard drive in (it is an NTFS hard drive and i have Tuxera installed and running with full permissions to the drive) and I opened iPhoto with the option key pressed. I navigated to the iPhoto Library that contained all my photos and videos and it asked me to upgrade the library prior to it opening. once the library upgraded it told me that my permissions need to be rebuilt so I went ahead and did that as well. Everything went smooth and the photos came back BUT the videos give me an error "The operation couldn't be completed. (OSStatus error -54.)" which I'm assuming means it cannot locate the file. There is a thumbnail of the video, but it just won't play back. I tried opening the file in the finder and it does nothing. I can export the corrupted movies but it shows a time of 00:00 and iPhoto crashes after exporting.

I need help to transfer the iPhoto Library in its entirety properly. Please help!

Posted on Feb 26, 2015 7:03 PM

1 reply

Feb 26, 2015 10:59 PM in response to araik818

1. You can't have an iPhoto Library on an NTFS disk. iPhoto needs to have the Library sitting on disk formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Users with the Library sitting on disks otherwise formatted regularly report issues including, but not limited to, importing, exporting, saving edits and sharing the photos.

See this article

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS5168

for more. Note also the comment:

“Additionally, storing the iPhoto library on a network rather than locally on your computer can also lead to poor performance or data loss.”

I tried opening the file in the finder and it does nothing

How did you do this?

OSStatus error -54 iPhoto Library Videos Missing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.