Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Chime but no boot?

When I press the power button on my mac, the startup chime rings but the screen remains black. I can hear the fans running and the processor is warm but nothing on the screen.

Plugged it into an external monitor and it still didn't work so it's not just the screen.

Any suggestion?

Macbook Pro Late 2009 15" running up to date Yosemite.

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Feb 26, 2015 5:46 PM

1 reply

Feb 28, 2015 8:21 AM in response to CoadyCameron

Hello CoadyCameron,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

To start troubleshooting this isisue where your screen is black after powering on your Mac, please reset your SMC by following the directoins below.

Resetting the SMC on portables with a battery you should not remove on your own

Note: Portable computers that have a battery you should not remove on your own include MacBook Pro (Early 2009) and later, all models of MacBook Air, and MacBook (Late 2009).

1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Plug in the MagSafe power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.
  3. On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
  4. Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
  5. Press the power button to turn on the computer.
    Note: The LED on the MagSafe power adapter may change states or temporarily turn off when you reset the SMC.

Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC) - Apple Support

Cheers,

Alex H.

Chime but no boot?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.