Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to make a random number database?

hello, I'm trying to figure out how to make a database. I would like people to be able to sign up, then they get a 10 digit code that's attached to their name. Afterwords I would like to be able to add people to it and have the code automatically generated but never dublicated. Then I want to make it frozen so it won't change once it's set. It has to be for long term storage. It's a program I'm writing where people buy a ticket" and then that ticket is worth somthing in 10 years if they have their code and the name attached to it. The basic idea is you buy a ticket and all money goes in to a pool then combined interest is divided after ten years. I'm trying to think of a way to close all loop holes to stop impersonation or fraud, but still make it transferable to next of kin just in case their is death....I know it sounds far fetched but it's a mental excresize thing. Any suggestions?

iPad, Have phones and macs to link up

Posted on Feb 26, 2015 6:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 26, 2015 6:33 PM

Use an actual database program or assign identification numbers sequentially (that is... in order).

To generate unique ids you can also combine the time, date, portions of their information, into a code such that it is impossible to duplicate. You should look up how credit card companies assign credit card numbers.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 26, 2015 6:33 PM in response to LuckyLine

Use an actual database program or assign identification numbers sequentially (that is... in order).

To generate unique ids you can also combine the time, date, portions of their information, into a code such that it is impossible to duplicate. You should look up how credit card companies assign credit card numbers.

Feb 27, 2015 6:45 AM in response to LuckyLine

you can make your own ID algorithm. You just have to really think it thought regarding making numbers unique. In addition you need to be able to detect bad numbers, faked numbers etc. None of the applications will do this part for you.

filemaker?

mysql

posgresql

Numbers can make the IDs too.

again you have to specify what the algorithm is to make the ids

How to make a random number database?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.