Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

raw stills in...converted?

Just wondering.

When I import my RAW stills, do they remain RAW or does FCPX convert them?

What about if imported as optimised...or not.

Does that make a difference?

Trying to maximise the quality.

geoff

Final Cut Pro X, OS X Yosemite (10.10), MacBook pro 10 GB

Posted on Feb 26, 2015 10:45 PM

5 replies

Feb 27, 2015 12:57 AM in response to xfggfx

Of course they are converted. Nothing except your camera and dedicated raw converters can work with raw. A raw is just a sensor dump from your camera. It needs to be interpreted by a converter into something an app can recognise as a photo. That's the nature of raw. You're best to get your raws into a raw converter - iPhoto, Lightroom, Aperture whatever - and process them yourself. Then bring that image across to FCP. If you're not processing them yourself, then something else is doing it automatically, and then you might as well shoot jpeg, as your camera will probably do a better job.

Feb 27, 2015 6:29 PM in response to xfggfx

When you import images into FCPX, if you leave them at their original location, they stay just like they are. What shows up in the Library is a symbolic link to the original media. They are not converted even when Copied into the Library. This includes CR2, RAW or whatever other format you use. Any conversion occurs in "real time" in the storyline.

When you import any image and have it Optimized, FCPX will convert it to 10 seconds of ProRes 422 video (of the same dimensions as the original). This only makes a difference when you apply it to the storyline. When you apply still images (not optimized) to the storyline, FCPX will use the Preferences setting for Still Images:Editing duration length (so that it is possible to apply single frame images by default.) Otherwise, once optimized, no matter what the setting is for still images, FCPX will apply the "image" as a short clip of fixed time.

The quality of ProRes is regarded as "virtually lossless". You cannot really tell the difference. It should also have the same bit depth (12) as the original RAW images (although somebody with better knowledge about this should chime in here).

Feb 28, 2015 8:03 AM in response to xfggfx

The idea of trying to maximize quality is often misunderstood in video. Your raw images are probably 3x4k, might be larger. High def video is 1920x1080 or so. If you use your raw images full frame, you're throwing away huge volumes of pixel content and, unavoidably, some color information in the transcoding from raw to video codecs. As Fox notes, it's visually lossless.

We've been using still images in video production since the days of using a Kodak Carousel to project 35mm slides onto a glass beaded screen and shooting 'em with a three-tube Plumbicon studio camera. Back then, NTSC video was made of 525 scan lines and we could zoom w-a-y in on the projected image but we eventually resolved the glass beads. We also used XYZ animation tables to do the Burning Ken Effect on printed stills long before mr burns was even born.

The 2k and 4k formats available within FCPX (or any other current video tools) are seductive but you can't play them on anything readily available to consumers so there's no real point. Yet.

Feb 28, 2015 12:01 PM in response to David Bogie Chq-1

Thanx for your comments.

I started exploring this topic in a different thread so I should just add a little background.

It started with me eyeballing $3k tripods because I am unhappy with pans zooms and tilts from my cheap one.

Then I had a brainwave. For some situations:

Why not shoot 6k x 4k stills (for still scenes), and for scenes with movement, shoot multiple frames.

Then crop pan tilt zoom within those frames.

I have done some testing and the results are lovely,

My question regarding RAW files in, is centred around my urge to cut as many steps from my process as possible,

I always shoot RAW stills and 1920 x 10180 at 50fps movie in my Nex-7

The projects are 1920 x 1080 at 50 fps

So with current workflow I can import directly from the card into FCPX. so easy.

So, I was wondering whether the files remain RAW and what would that mean either way.

Fox_M has given me some valuable info

With a simple test I have found that the files do remain RAW (outliner > reveal in finder),

if imported without optimisation (will test with opt. today).

Sorry for the confusion, thanx for your interest

Feb 28, 2015 12:12 PM in response to fox_m

Excellent info thanx for that.

I now have the workflow and it all looks great with your info re changing frame duration from my other thread.

Select frames > RMB > change duration > hit number and enter.

So I will get a little more use out of my old cheap tripod again today when I will try to

add shots of people to the equation...my old nex-7 can squeeze 6kx4k at 10fps for short bursts

and 4fps for longer periods...

And of course I can grab 1920x1080 at 50fps at any time

so I should be able to capture something useful.

cheers

geoff fox

raw stills in...converted?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.