Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

i can't delete photos on my iphone from laptop

my storage is almost full so i want to delete some photos from my iphone via my laptop. when i want to delete them, it says you do not have permission to delete this items. what should i do?

iphone 5 ios 8.1.3 Windows 8

iPhone 5, iOS 8.1.3

Posted on Feb 27, 2015 12:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 18, 2015 12:54 PM

If you haven't found the answer yet here is what I have for you:

- In your iPhone Settings Turn off the iCloud syncing for your photos (all the things that are under ' Photos' > "My Photo Stream" "iCloud Photot Sharing")

- Then you can go back to your Windows PC and use Windows Explorer and Browse through each one of the iPhone's photo folders and delete any photos / videos that you want to Delete.

*** You can also use the Import Pictures and Videos option and Click on "Import Settings", tell Windows where to put the photos while checking the box that says "Always erase from device after importing" - that will move all the photos and videos from your iPhone and put them where you told it to AND in the same time it will remove them from your phone.

20 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 18, 2015 12:54 PM in response to nassyamuis

If you haven't found the answer yet here is what I have for you:

- In your iPhone Settings Turn off the iCloud syncing for your photos (all the things that are under ' Photos' > "My Photo Stream" "iCloud Photot Sharing")

- Then you can go back to your Windows PC and use Windows Explorer and Browse through each one of the iPhone's photo folders and delete any photos / videos that you want to Delete.

*** You can also use the Import Pictures and Videos option and Click on "Import Settings", tell Windows where to put the photos while checking the box that says "Always erase from device after importing" - that will move all the photos and videos from your iPhone and put them where you told it to AND in the same time it will remove them from your phone.

Feb 27, 2015 6:41 AM in response to nassyamuis

I am not clear about what exactly you are doing - you said " ... it says you do not have permission to delete this items. " - What is " it "? iTunes? What version?

If you are following the instructions in the "Delete" section of this > http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201313 < - you should be in good shape.

Tell us a detailed 'Story' of what you are doing up until the error message, then include the exact words of the message.

ÇÇÇ

Aug 27, 2017 12:50 PM in response to nassyamuis

If you're going to turn off your Photo Sharing make sure to Login to iCloud and make sure that ALL the photos and videos on your phone are properly backed up to your iCloud. In my case a month and a half of images and videos were NOT backed up to my iCloud and turning off Photo Sharing would have permanently deleted all of these files.

SO step 1 should be to go into iCloud back-up and click "Back-Up Now" and get everything syncronized to iCloud from your device/phone.

Step 2 is to go into iCloud and make certain that everything is properly backed up. And if everything is back-up then you're all set to go onto step 3

Step 3 is to go into your Photo Sharing, turn it off. Then you can go into your computer and it will allow you to delete all the photos and videos that you wish to delete directly from your computer either by hitting delete, OR by Cutting and Pasting them directly into your computer system.

Feb 27, 2015 6:48 AM in response to ChitlinsCC

No worries 😉

The Windows folks that post here tend to be accessing their iPhones through Windows Explorer and simply dragging and dropping photos from the iPhone - like you would from a flash drive. They are then unpleasantly surprised to find they can't delete the photos, just copy them.

So I make the assumption that they are proceeding in that fashion and wait to be corrected 🙂

~Lyssa

Jan 15, 2016 11:58 AM in response to nassyamuis

Techies Techies YOUR TOO SMART! The people asking questions on here do not understand your language. Talk OUR language please.

To DELETE YOUR PHOTOS (first make sure they are downloaded to your harddrive) then go into your iphone, turn off Cloud Sharing, then you can delete the photos viola! Turn Cloud Sharing back on if you want to.

How HARD was THAT???????

Come back to the REAL World.

i can't delete photos on my iphone from laptop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.