Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Logic X and upgrade to Yosemite from Mountain Lion

As a long time Logic user who's had very bad experiences with prior OSX upgrades, I am dreading the inevitable upgrade to Yosemite - especially after reading the update from "Art of Sound," which recommends against using LPX with Yosemite (but notes that the most recent Logic update seems to work OK with Yosemite).

I welcome any warnings, suggestions, etc. pertaining to my setudio setups:

In one studio, I'm using LPX (10.0.7) with OSX 10.8 (Mountain Lion) on a fall 2010 6-core tower, 2 MOTU 828 firewire interfaces (mk II and 3), a MOTU midi interface, a mackie midi controller, three monitors run off the stock graphics card, and tons of plugins from izotope, expansion, and UAudio.

In my mobile studio I use an early 2012 MBPro 15" retina, OSX 10.8, LPX 10.0.7, a Universal Audio Apollo thunderbolt interface, and apple and UAudio plugins.

Thanks for reading this. Any warnings, suggestions, etc. are welcome. I can't afford any downtime caused by upgrades.

Logic Pro X, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Feb 26, 2015 7:54 PM

11 replies

Feb 27, 2015 12:59 AM in response to John Seidel

Hi

John Seidel wrote:

especially after reading the update from "Art of Sound," which recommends against using LPX with Yosemite (but notes that the most recent Logic update seems to work OK with Yosemite).

I think that you will find that AoS has updated? edit: I'm pretty sure that I read that on here regarding a new MacPro or similar.

Definitely, make clone images of the current OS boot disk, or, perhaps better, actually make a bootable clone on another disk and upgrade that as a test.

You will most likely need to update a load of 3rd party plugs etc.

CCT

Feb 27, 2015 5:24 PM in response to Pancenter

I do have bootable backups of the OSX disk (an internal and external). But while LPX lives on the startup drive, all the projects and sound files live on another drive (which are also backed up). But the location of the various plugins is unknown. I think UA's are on the OS startup; not sure about the others.

I have heard it is possible to upgrade to a partition on the current startup (I've got a little less than half free (about 90 gB)). Is that possible? Also, you suggest upgrading a clone. I did not realize that was possible either. Do I just start up from a clone and do the usual download from Apple and see what happens? Lastly, I've heard it's a good idea to upgrade all the apps & plugins & drivers, etc. before upgrading the OS. Is that so? Does that mean I have to upgrade all the stuff on the clone, then upgrade the clone to Yosemite, work with it awhile, and then upgrade the regular startup? That could be a bummer - the startup is an SSD; the clones are not.

Thanks for your help!

Feb 28, 2015 11:53 AM in response to John Seidel

Hi John,

I imagine all your plugins are on the system drive as well.

If you have a clone of your system drive, I would boot off that drive, install Yosemite onto the clone, then install the latest version Logic X which I believe is 10.1.1. At this point you will know what you have to upgrade, just by seeing what works and what doesn't. Since you're using your system professionally I would test only with a cloned system drive and copies of projects.

caveat: This may seem like overkill, but since you're on a Mac-Pro it's not that big a deal, I would unhook my SSD system drive to insure it is not written to.

I few years back I booted off a clone (Firewire drive) and even though the computer showed my clone as the boot drive the bulk of the disk writing was being done on my system drive. This was on an older OSX, Tiger I think, never did figure out how that happened.

Mar 9, 2015 6:56 PM in response to Pancenter

So I've updated to Yosemite on the carbon copy clone of the startup. Everything seems to be working - particularly Logic and all the other music stuff. I've also spent a day updating all the other old apps that won't run on Yosemite without an update. It's all very slow, though, because the cone is a standard hard drive, not an SSD.

Now that all that is done, I'd like not to have to repeat the whole 2-day process on the original startup drive (the SSD). Couldn't I just use CCC's restore function to copy what is now the updated startup (the former clone) to the SSD startup disk? If so, should I format the old startup first? Or should I just update everything on that disk manually, like I did on the clone?

Mar 22, 2015 2:53 AM in response to John Seidel

Hi, John.

I have LP X 10.0.7 running on Mountain Lion installed on a 2012 mac mini.

I partitioned the mini's Internal HD and installed Yosemite clean and then LP X 10.1.1.

My BFD drum program didn't work at all until I trashed the preference file. The other probelm I've had is projects saved in 10.0.7 under Mountain Lion don't open properly under 10.1.1 and Yosemite.

I've only had the new system running for a day, so I haven't sorted all the bugs yet. This is an FYI in case your older projects misbehave. Good luck with your system; but I'd wait a while before you change your system disc with CCC.

regards,

Scorpii

Logic X and upgrade to Yosemite from Mountain Lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.