Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is the size of my export of all photos/videos into Windows not the same as what iPhone/iTunes says my usage is?

I'm trying to export all the photos on my iPhone before deleting them from my iPhone.

iTunes says that I'm using 44.12GB of on photos.

I used the "export" feature in Windows 7 and the total file size for that folder is only 3.11 GB.

I used Windows Explorer to copy the entire DCIM folder and that is only 796 MB.

What gives? The 40 plus GB discrepancy can't be from just iCloud and Photo Stream, can it? I have no idea what's going on here.

I have done a backup from iTunes already but I want to have a useful set of the photos I'll be deleting.

Thank you in advance for any light you can shed on this.

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.1, 64GB

Posted on Feb 26, 2015 9:59 PM

6 replies

Feb 26, 2015 10:45 PM in response to karenlies

It will take some time before I can verify but I think I know what happened.

Under the DCIM folder I had two subfolders. One is 796MB. When I try to view the contents of the other one, Explorer tries to index it so I can view the files but it craps out because it's so **** enormous.

When I used Explorer to drag-and-drop Windows 7 only copied this 796MB folder. My guess is the Import feature worked a little better but still didn't get everything.

I tinkered with trying to use DOS to copy the files over but got stuck because the iPhone isn't assigned a drive letter.

I ended up connecting it to our Windows 8.1 machine (which is also much more powerful) and am using Explorer to drag-and-drop the problematic folder. It will take a few hours to copy, which is a good sign. I will update and let you know if I can get Explorer to 44GB of videos and photos.

Feb 27, 2015 9:24 AM in response to karenlies

Okay, so last night the simple drag-and-drop of the folder still failed. This morning I ended up transferring batches of files (sorted by date) in groups. That worked and I finally got 44.1GB of files off of my iPhone! I noticed at the bottom there were a lot of these 1kb "IMG" files that Windows detected which I suspect were the root of my problem. Perhaps they are iOS index files or something, I don't know. My Camera Roll includes I think 3 or 4 iPhone's worth of photos, so that is a lot of iOS versions these files have been through.

My next challenge is getting all 44.1GB onto a physical backup then figuring out how to cleanly delete all these photos. When I tried to delete one of the volumes using Explorer it wasn't able to, so we'll see what I can get done in iTunes.

Feb 27, 2015 10:00 AM in response to karenlies

If you transferred all photos, just take another one with your phone, then transfer it again, using the camera wizard in Windows. After the photo has been transferred you should be asked if you want to delete the imported data from your phone, including the ones already imported.

If this is not the case, you'll have to delete them on the phone.

Back up after deleting them, otherwise the photos will be included in your backup again.

Why is the size of my export of all photos/videos into Windows not the same as what iPhone/iTunes says my usage is?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.