Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Fan Noise Concern

Hi Guys,

I just bought a new iMac (3.4GHz) 27", mainly to play the new Total War game, and this is relevant, as whenever I load up the game I can really hear the iMac fan working. It's not making an odd noise (like a clunking), and it isn't too loud, but I can definitely hear it going while the game is running (even in the menu). Just to the touch the computer is not at all hot, and certainly runs at a cooler temperature than my previous iMac, even when I've been playing the game for a while.

So I just wanted to ask whether I should be concerned, and whether I should seek support while the machine is still in warranty (still have a year)?

Thanks in advance,

Tony

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), 3.4GHz 27"

Posted on Feb 26, 2015 11:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 27, 2015 4:53 AM

Games are very graphics intensive and will generate a lot of heat. Your iMac is doing exactly what it's supposed to do. If the fan didn't speed up when needed your iMac would fry itself.

2 replies

Fan Noise Concern

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.